Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Mig-25PD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mirage F1EQ

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Mig-23ML

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nodeo-Franvier

Airman 1st Class
Jul 13, 2020
In your opinion what was the most effective fighter Saddam have in the Gulf War?

A MiG-25 shot down an F/A-18 as well.

As an aside, the war also brought the last USAF air-to-air gun kill, with an A-10 shooting down an Iraqi helo with its 30mm.
That had to be a sight to behold, considering the 30mm rounds would devastate an AFV - those poor bastards in the helicopter would have been vaporized.

Yes, the famous "Sandwich Attack" tactic! ]t was too risky, out of 42 officially confirmed by Iraqi sources, only 3 were successful! a total of 17 Tomcats are lost + 1 never arrived Iran.
Do you mean that in 3 succesful attacks Iraqis shot down 17 F-14? I find it hard to believe, If I remember correctly in another post of yours you had mentioned the losses of Iranian F-14 and they weren't 17!

Do you mean that in 3 succesful attacks Iraqis shot down 17 F-14? I find it hard to believe, If I remember correctly in another post of yours you had mentioned the losses of Iranian F-14 and they weren't 17!
No, In total, 17 Tomcats are lost!

Iraqi Air Force claims that 50 Sandwich attacks were done against tomcats, but only 3 were successful!

in other word, 3 of 17 downed Aircrafts were victim of Sandwich Attacks.

and about Total loss, Iranian Air Force claims the 1 remained in US as lost, this makes 18 downed / lost planes.

Last edited:
No, In total, 17 Tomcats are lost!

Iraqi Air Force claims that 50 Sandwich attacks were done against tomcats, but only 3 were successful!

in other word, 3 of 17 downed Aircrafts were victim of Sandwich Attacks.

and about Total loss, Iranian Air Force claims the 1 remained in US as lost, this makes 18 downed / lost planes.
Do you by any chance, have more information about those 17 losses? I thought that Iraqis were ineffective in combat against Iranian Tomcats, this number (17) might change my view.

17 is total loss from day 1 they entered service, till today.
I see, that's clear now, please tell me again how many of them during the Iran-Iraq war? Two were lost before the war, 4(?) after the war in various accidents, that leave us with 11 war losses, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back