Best Naval Fighter (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Definitely the F6F Hellcat and the Corsair. Alot of pilots that nursed the Hellcats home owe alot to those birds. Eugene Valencia, top Navy ace with 32 kills once said about the Hellcat; "I love this airplane, if it could cook, I'd marry it". I love the old Grumman Iron Works birds.

Argh, forgot to engage my brain before I used my fingers! Correct, 23, not 32 kills and he was one of the top Navy aces, not the top. Geez, I think I let my brain wander out and it went walkabout!

The F6F we have in our museum is painted up as Minsi III, McCampbell's plane. Unfortunately, it is on temporary assignment to the CAF HQ in Texas. :(

Here is the correct listing of top 6 aces in Hellcats:
1. David McCampbell- 34 (unit VF-15)
2. Cecil Harris- 24 (unit VF-18)
3. Eugene Valencia- 23 (unit VF-9)
4. Alexander Vraciu- 19 (unit VF-6/16)
5. Cornelius Nooy- 19 (unit VF-31)
6. Patrick Fleming- 19 (unit VF-80)

Am I vindicated now?! ;)

evangilder said:
Argh, forgot to engage my brain before I used my fingers! Correct, 23, not 32 kills and he was one of the top Navy aces, not the top. Geez, I think I let my brain wander out and it went walkabout!

The F6F we have in our museum is painted up as Minsi III, McCampbell's plane. Unfortunately, it is on temporary assignment to the CAF HQ in Texas. :(

Here is the correct listing of top 6 aces in Hellcats:
1. David McCampbell- 34 (unit VF-15)
2. Cecil Harris- 24 (unit VF-18)
3. Eugene Valencia- 23 (unit VF-9)
4. Alexander Vraciu- 19 (unit VF-6/16)
5. Cornelius Nooy- 19 (unit VF-31)
6. Patrick Fleming- 19 (unit VF-80)

Am I vindicated now?! ;)

Man, that's awesome about the Hellcat!

I saw it in FlyPast a couple weeks ago!

lesofprimus said:
Does anyone have stats on which aircraft shot down more enemy planes, the Hellcat or the Corsair???

Nope but im guessing th Hellcat. I could find out, but guessing is more fun :lol:

The ekranoplan is nither ship no plane no ground transpot so what the hell is it ??? it can go over water. ice ,and level ground, a perfect soviet invetion, just like the RD-180,

Attachments

• caspian.jpg
    caspian.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 2,105
Thunder Soviets
Primary Function: transport
Length: 348' 2"
Wingspan: 131' 8"
Speed: 300 mph
Ceiling: 10 feet
Range: 1,850 miles
Year Deployed: 1966