Best overall bomber ww2

Better Over All Bomber

• Lancaster

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • B-29

Votes: 12 85.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It's true:
800px-8_x_57_IS.jpg

Dont worry guys, I was the one who said 7.9 mm. If I was aggravated by the correction I would not hesitate to speak up. I knew the 7.9 eas actually 7.92 (but didnt know it was actually 8.2). I actually appreciate the correction, but am concentrating on getting the HYe-177 capabilities right rather than worry about the details

I have to disagree with you therfore...there were major differences between the A-1 and A-5....in terms of mission specs, equipment and ordinance carried

I have the Chant book you are using as a source, but I am using the German primary docs instead. These show there were no major changes between the variants, the A-1 is listed with the same bombload possibilities as the A-3, and what secondary sources show for the A-5.

The confusion about range possibly stems from the rather complicated fuel/bomb arrangements in the 177. Basically, the type could be operated as a long range, medium range or short range bomber.

In the latter, all three bomb bays were used for carrying bombs, in the former, one or two forward bomb bays were used to store fuel tanks. Actually the fuselage fuel tanks were right above the bomb bay, and they simply replaced the forward ones with larger fuel tanks, that also occupied the first two bomb bays. But this was present possibility the same way on the A-1 as it was on the A-5.. basically the engines have changed (DB 606 to DB 610 on the A-3) and the defensive armament (MG 151s on some A-3 subtypes and all A-5s). Its possible of course that A-5s were more often configured for long range in practice, given that the type was used extensively as an anti shipping platform.

The German datasheet from June 1942 gives the following:

Attachments

• he177specs1942.png
    he177specs1942.png
    293.1 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Okay, what you are saying does make sense, although I was unaware of the A-1 (or the A-3) ever being used for anti-shipping strikes. Maybe the A-1 was attritioned off before the type started to be used for anti-shipping duties

What debate?
The B-29 could haul a greater bombload further, faster and higher
It could also absorb more damage

...and take that ridiculous shirt off

Colin this is Jack from usa, if your last name is Campbell Oi!
If not my apologies

Colin this is Jack from the USA, if your last name is Campbell Oi!
If not my apologies
Hi Jack
no apology required but spookily close! The lad who sat behind me at secondary school (11 - 16yrs) was called Colin Campbell!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back