Best ship buster..... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

cheddar cheese

Major General
Jan 9, 2004
WSM, England
In your opinions what was the best ship buster of the war? There were many effective planes; the Beaufighter and SM.79 to name a couple.

Discuss :D

there were many that were used for maritime recon. such as the Fw-200, sunderland and B-24, but they didn't "ship bust"

it occasionally bombed merchant shipping but it's primary role was to direct U-boats onto the ships, it tried to stay fay away from enemy fire or action because it had shockingly poor damage tollerance for a 4 engined plane...............

It was used to bomb ships - therefore it is classifie as a ship buster. Any plane that was used to bomb ships of any form counts in this category...

well in that case the sunderland, cat and B-24 are up for this title, as are most planes.........

my vote goes to the Avro lancaster..................

It was used to bomb ships - therefore it is classifie as a ship buster

it sunk the tirpitz, as well as U-boats when in dock, as such, it's busted ships, as such, it's qualifies as a ship buster using you classification.............

my vote remains.............

And even then you think its better than busting ships than a Beaufighter or Sparviero

Ok then, change it to planes that had ship busting as their primary role.

When you think of ship-busters, you should really look at the Pacific, as the Navy planes were doing one hell of a job doing that. I would say the TBF/TM Avenger. It was designed to carry torpedoes and bust ships.

There was also a B-25 that was developed in New Zealand by Pappy Gunn and Jack Fox that carried a 75mm cannon on board. That must have been one heck of a jolt when that gun fired! I will have to see if I can dig out the story of it's first use. Three of them attacked some Japanese warships and before the Japanese knew what hit them, a battleship was down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back