Best Stealth Aircraft

Best Stealth Aircraft?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wrong on both points again my friend - I worked on F-86s AND F-117s and the F-117 was very maneuvarable and had great acceleration when its ordinance was unloaded. - In a scenario as you say the Saber would have to go visual as it radar computing site would be useless. More than likely an F-117 would accelerate away from a Saber.

The 117's whole design concept was to be operated at night so there was little visual and no radar tracking available. The F-117 also was never intended to be operated as a fighter and based on it's sortie to loss ratio since its introduction it was probably the best strike aircraft to ever fly with regards to safety and effectiveness.

The F-22? Different story - 2nd generation stealth and it was designed as an air to air fighter.

Well I'm only trying to say the F-22 is better, and why, since the poll was rather vague as to the reason we thought one or another was the best. Since you've had personal experience a lot closer than I have, I'm glad you're able to shed some light on such things. I'm not just trying to pick fights or anything. We armchair generals have to have opinions too!:lol: :lol:
:tomcat:

I vote for the plane that is the stealthiest yet. However, I cannot give a name or number for it because it hasn't been released yet. Or seen and identified....

Well I'm only trying to say the F-22 is better, and why, since the poll was rather vague as to the reason we thought one or another was the best. Since you've had personal experience a lot closer than I have, I'm glad you're able to shed some light on such things. I'm not just trying to pick fights or anything. We armchair generals have to have opinions too!:lol: :lol:
:tomcat:
No worries - just telling you from my perspective - and yes the F-22 is way more stealthy.

Granted, the SR-71 was not even close to 100% stealthy, but it was one of the earliest attempts at that objective. It's RCS was amazingly low for such a large aircraft. The physical shape plus the ironball paint plus ECM made it impossible to determine the exact position, altitude, course and speed of the SR-71. The bad guys knew it was flying over their area, but had to guess at those four parameters, thus it became an unsolveable problem to aim a missile at the correct point in space to shoot it down. Once a SAM is launched, there is a relatively small area of space where it can reach. The SR-71 pilot/RSO determined where the missile was headed and if necessary, just turned away from that space. It requires something like a minute for the SA-2 to reach 80,000 feet. The SR-71 travels 30 miles in that minute, which means the missile had to be aimed 30 miles in front of the airplane. That gives the crew quite a bit of time and space to avoid the missile.

If the vote is for "stealthiest" aircraft, then the SR-71 is definately not the winner. If the vote is for ability to penetrate bad guy airspace with the least chance of getting shot down, the SR-71 wins.

Darwin, 12 year veteran of the Blackbird program

Darwin may I know how exactly you were involved in Blackbird program?

The physical shape plus the ironball paint plus ECM made it impossible to determine the exact position, altitude, course and speed of the SR-71.

There were several features which made the -71 "stealthy" (compared to other '60's-era a/c, anyway); the inward-canted fins, ceramic "wedges" along the leading edges of the wings (if you look closely in pictures, you can see the outline of the wedges), and the chines along the nose, all contributed to a lower RCS, especially for a plane it's size. The original reason for the chines along the nose was for stability at high Mach, but it had the added benefit of decreasing the RCS of the -71.

i have a friend whose dad works on the f-22 and he talks about it alot so i go with the raptor

From a pure stealth standpoint, I think the F-22 and B-2 are similar. I think the B-2 is probably stealther than the F-22 in a 360 degree profile, high and low. Next would be the F-117 and F-35. The SR-71 was designed for speed, not stealth. Stealth was a secondary consideration, same to, the B-1B.

What do you guys think about this?

sss1zl8.jpg

"Estimates range detection of various types of aircraft by radio station on charges of typical wavelengths." - transleted by "google translate" and I'm not quite sure is this statement have any sense after translation but you will probably know what's shown on the image.

Source: Zmniejszenie wykrywalno¶ci samolotu - Militaria - Lotnictwo - Konflikty Zbrojne

From a pure stealth standpoint, I think the F-22 and B-2 are similar. I think the B-2 is probably stealther than the F-22 in a 360 degree profile, high and low. Next would be the F-117 and F-35. The SR-71 was designed for speed, not stealth. Stealth was a secondary consideration, same to, the B-1B.

For the record, speed was the primary requirement for the B-1A. Stealth secondary.

For the B-1B, stealth was primary and speed secondary. Thus, the B-1B contains inlet baffles that limits its speed almost 600mph slower at Vmax.

Between Carter (cough, cough, eff u) and Reagan (Ronaldus Maximus) the mission profile of the B-1 changed night and day.

What do you guys think about this?

sss1zl8.jpg

"Estimates range detection of various types of aircraft by radio station on charges of typical wavelengths." - transleted by "google translate" and I'm not quite sure is this statement have any sense after translation but you will probably know what's shown on the image.

Source: Zmniejszenie wykrywalno¶ci samolotu - Militaria - Lotnictwo - Konflikty Zbrojne

That's very dated info.....

...and technically meaningless other than for general discussion.

What must be realized about stealth, is that it is not just an airframe application. True stealth maximizes airframe EM energy absorption/reflection capability with, IR emmision reduction, acoustic energy reduction, visible reference reduction, best operational profiles, ability to dissimenate target/threat information discretely and securely to local assets, jamming, spoofing, and defensive data manipulation.

Stealth is no longer a single dimension.

Stealth is no longer a single dimension.

That's true, and that's part of what makes this discussion so hard to handle. Plus, trying to factor the "stealth" aspect of a plane in with the other aspects of the same plane to get the "best stealth aircraft."

I agree with you about that graph but eventually to this day it's normal that you will find something like this in a popular publication about stealth.

Sorry everyone, I've had no internet access for quite a while, just got it back. In response to questions:
a) I didn't put F-35 up because it hasn't seen active service yet
b) SR-71 was put up because it was one of the first attempts at a stealth aircraft, even though it was not fully stealth like some of the others on the poll
c) 'Best' means what you believe to be the stealthiest of all the aircraft on the poll

I would have thought the F-117 would get more votes, although I am going with the F-22 on this one

This is a subject I know very little of. so voting is not for me.
Surly if how effective (or ineffective) stealth is becomes common knowledge
would not this comprimise its concept
As most of the real information is cloaked in secrecy is not any vote on this subject just a guess.

Sorry everyone, I've had no internet access for quite a while, just got it back. In response to questions:
a) I didn't put F-35 up because it hasn't seen active service yet
b) SR-71 was put up because it was one of the first attempts at a stealth aircraft, even though it was not fully stealth like some of the others on the poll
c) 'Best' means what you believe to be the stealthiest of all the aircraft on the poll

I would have thought the F-117 would get more votes, although I am going with the F-22 on this one

That is the thing though. SR-71 was not an attempt at a Stealth Aircraft. Yes it had some stealth qualities such as radar absorbing paint, but the idea behind the SR-71 was to fly high and fast, where no oposition could reach you.

The Soviets knew where she was at all times when she was in or over there territory.

Soon enough, fighters etc, will be that much stealth that we'll back to square one, fighting with guns and cannons, because missiles will be useless....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back