Best WWII automatic weapon

Best WWII Automatic weapon

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The MP-44 is the best small-arm of WW2, and it saw more action than the Owen - so if you ask me it should be on the list, but nevermind.

If I had to choose between the above I think its going to be a tie between the Thompson and MP-40.
I'd take the MP-40 slightly over the 1928A-1 Thompson, due to larger magazine capacity (32 vs. 20 rds.) and lighter weight. But I could survive in hostile territory with either weapon, given sufficient extra loaded magazines. If I had the MP-40, I would also want a Walther P-38 for common ammo- if I had the Thompson, I would want a 1911-A-1, again for common ammo.

Since I've never used a firearm*, I don't have a favorite. However, my father's (he served on PT boats in the Pacific) favorite automatic weapon of WW2 was the 40 mm Bofors**. He wasn't particularly fond of the Thomson SMG.

----
* I neither like nor dislike guns, per se; my life just makes them totally superfluous, as I don't hunt and don't feel any particular need to "protect my home." I'm also not fond of loud noises.

** I wonder if he was thinking "go big or go home." He also got a hernia lifting the receiver out for maintenance.

Last edited:
Since I've never used a firearm*, I don't have a favorite. However, my father's (he served on PT boats in the Pacific) favorite automatic weapon of WW2 was the 40 mm Bofors**. He wasn't particularly fond of the Thomson SMG.

If you are on a PT boat then you are using a Thomson to repel borders and it beats a Cutlass :)

If you are firing ship to ship (or boat to boat) and you are using a shoulder fired weapon.........................................

YOU ARE TOO DARN CLOSE!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back