Bf-109 hand crank starter

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sooocool

Recruit
Nov 23, 2007
Hello,
This is my first post on this forum.
Could someone explain or diagram the Bf-109 engine starting system?
That is, when the ground crew sticks a hand crank in the aft-starboard side of the engine compartment, mechanically, what is taking place? Does it turn a generator, an inertia wheel, or just what?
:?:

Thanks CCheese, and pleased to meet you.
By the way, I'm an old AE from Oceana many, many moons ago.

Hello,
This is my first post on this forum.
Could someone explain or diagram the Bf-109 engine starting system?
That is, when the ground crew sticks a hand crank in the aft-starboard side of the engine compartment, mechanically, what is taking place? Does it turn a generator, an inertia wheel, or just what?
:?:
It is a big inertia wheel coupled to a mechanism that turns the crankshaft when engaged. Some kind of clutch engages the device when its "wound up to a certain speed (which the ground crews could usually hear) This set up save weight as the starters of that period were bulky and required a lot of power to work. Eventually starters came down in size and this method of starting aircraft went by the wayside.

BTW - I'm a former AD.....

Sooocool: I live about five miles from Oceana (Windsor Woods area).
I'm a retired Radioman (RM), but was actually an AL before they killed
the rate. Retired in '71, and I'm the old man of the forum. You'll like it
here, lots of people from lotsa countries with a wealth of information that
they are eager to share.

Again, welcome....

Charles

Hey shipmate! Retired AECS(AW) here. Thank God there's finally another "One Wire" on the crew. I spent 3 tours in VAW's and 1 extended tour in HM's at NAS Norfolk but I lived in VAB just off of Independence Blvd, not too far from Lynnhaven.

It is a big inertia wheel coupled to a mechanism that turns the crankshaft when engaged. Some kind of clutch engages the device when its "wound up to a certain speed (which the ground crews could usually hear) This set up save weight as the starters of that period were bulky and required a lot of power to work. Eventually starters came down in size and this method of starting aircraft went by the wayside.

BTW - I'm a former AD.....

By the looks of the start sequence in the video, the ground crew "spun" up the inertia starter and then the pilot actuated it.

By the looks of the start sequence in the video, the ground crew "spun" up the inertia starter and then the pilot actuated it.

Yes - and I seen aircraft where the groundcrew engaged the starter - I think there's a film around here on the N3N trainer that shows this.

Thanks to all for your replys and pleased to meet you.
I'm not realy a daily forum person, but when I run across somthing interesting
I'll be sure to share.:)

I asked a little while ago about the inertia starter on the Bf109, and no one at that time had any literal details like an exploded drawing or sketch to offer.
Maybe this time..........

I found a site called "109 Lair" that has a lot of technical data but unfortunately it's in German. I spent about an hour or more going back and forth between this site and an English <> German dictionary but without much luck. I'm sure "Der Adler" or someone else fluent in German could breeze through it and find the info pretty quick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back