Bf 109 or Fw 190 coded "0" JG51?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

le_steph40

Senior Master Sergeant
Jan 18, 2011
Montech
www.facebook.com
Hello,
I'm searching pictures of a Bf 109 or a Fw 190 wearing code "0" belonging to the III./JG51 during 1942-43. It seems that it was a common practice in this unit but I didn't succeed to find any photos of that.
Any help please ?
TIA

Steph

Like this? Дети из освобожденной деревни под Глуховым сидят на сбитом немецком истребителе

321936-main.jpg

I am only going by what the caption said but it could of course be wrong. I'm not 100% sure what you mean by the request either. Somewhere in the back of my mind I recall seeing aircraft with an odd 0 or O with horizontal lines above and below (I think?) but my look through one of my picture books on JG51 got no hits. Are you sure it was that unit?

I am only going by what the caption said but it could of course be wrong. I'm not 100% sure what you mean by the request either. Somewhere in the back of my mind I recall seeing aircraft with an odd 0 or O with horizontal lines above and below (I think?) but my look through one of my picture books on JG51 got no hits. Are you sure it was that unit?
Yes Andy, these informations are from the books "Die Jagdfliegerverbände der Deutschen Luftwaffe 1934 bis 1945" teil 9/II for Bf 109F-2 Wnr.8240 coded "white 0" flown by Karl-Heinz Weber during Summer 1942 and teil 12/II for several Fw 190A-5/6 including a Fw 190A-5 Wnr.410040 flown by Gunther Schack and 30% damaged by flack on 05.10.43. Others Fw 190A-5/6 (or Wnr.410040 repared) flown by these two Aces belonging to the III./JG51 during October 1943.
Point of detail, the Bf 109F-2 Wnr.8240 is sometimes described as the one flown by Walter Oesau, GruppenKommandeur III./JG3, at the beginning of Operation Barbarossa and 40% damaged during dogfight on 07.07.41.

Last edited:
All those circles are markings of the Technical officer a/c (Gruppe or Geschwader). They are not unique for a specific unit.
54585-jpg.jpg

Me109-F4 Stab-III.JG3, flown Technical Officer Leutnant Heinrich Graf von Einsiedel - Petsamo-Luostari Airfield, Finland July, 1942
ant-Heinrich-Graf-von-Einsiedel-with-5-Victories-On-Tail-Petsamo-Luostari-Finland-July-1942-73f+.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, sorry. Didn't see the link.
No need to apologize - I just added information to what you said before. The moment you mentioned "an o with a vertical I", even before your sketch I imagined the letter phi and I knew I've seen something similar. As it showed it was the same a/c. Maybe it's not the one in question but still an interesting one.
Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back