Bf 109 or Fw 190 coded "0" JG51? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

All those circles are markings of the Technical officer a/c (Gruppe or Geschwader). They are not unique for a specific unit.
54585-jpg.jpg

Me109-F4 Stab-III.JG3, flown Technical Officer Leutnant Heinrich Graf von Einsiedel - Petsamo-Luostari Airfield, Finland July, 1942
View attachment 608626
So that's what those symbols mean. I was too embarrassed to ask.

Hello,

Here is the message that I received from Mr Jochen Prien :)

"Dear Stéphane,

many thanks for your message and a Happy New Year to you too.
I have known the photo of an Fw190 with the peculiar "0" for some time and will show it in JFV 15/I currently prepared for publication later this year. There is ample evidence that the numeral "0" was the marking of the Staffelkapitän of 7./JG51 and that the marking was also used by 8./JG 51, whereas so far I have no proof that 9th Staffel also used this marking.
Fo me it seems pretty clear that the marking is a very individual interpretation of the numeral "0", nothing more and nothing less, certainly no letter "O". I have only one image showing a Bf 109G-6 of 8. or rather 11./JG 51 with this kind of a "0", which you will be able to see in JFV 15/I later this year.

Hope this helps
"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back