Bf 109E Canopy frame colou (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Alte Hase

Airman 1st Class
Sep 25, 2011
Hi all,

I recall reading somewhere that the canopy frames of Battle of Britain Bf 109Es were RLM 66 inside AND out? If anyone can clarify I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!

The RLM 66 was the interior colour .. so it's logical the conopy frame inside was of the paint. Also it might have been of the RLM02 one used earlier. As far as the outer colour of the frame is concerned... Usually it was of the camo paints. Sometimes it was one colour only then quite rarly two.. Most of these frames was of the darker camo colour. British raports for shot down Bf 109Es indicate variety in using of colours. In filed workshops the maintenace crews often prepered own mixtures that consisted of RLM66, RLM65, RLM02 , RLM71. So the colour of the cockpit frame depends of the particular plane.

I do recall a discussion about the 66 being applied externally in some cases....but don't remember just where at the moment...

Dave Wadman has done quite a lot of work on this. He concluded that the RLM 66 cockpit interior and canopy framing appeared by late 1940 on reconditioned aircraft and some new aircraft, not those built by Messerschmitt but rather by some sub-contractors. I think he mentioned Arado and Fiesler but I haven't checked.
Canopies with RLM 66 framing in and out were certainly retrofitted to early Es when the squarer, heavier, canopy was fitted.

The default cockpit colour for an Emil, at least those produced by Messerschmitt, was still RLM 02. Dave Wadman again.

"According to copies of some original documents covering correspondence between the RLM and Messerschmitt and company circulars issued by Messerschmitt themselves recently placed into the possession of a colleague of mine confirm that the specified colour for cockpit interiors from E-1 to the early F-0/F-1s was 02."

We know for sure that it wasn't always so :)

Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
Thank you for your help everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back