Bf 109F-2/Trop in North Africa

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

greybeard

Airman 1st Class
Oct 25, 2011
A document named "obmed" (that I'm attaching for quick reference), circulating from years on the Internet, but whose source is unknown, states that the F-2 sub-variant of the Bf 109 virtually did not participated to African campaign (apart some F-2/B given to JG 3), and all "F" models were of the F-4 sub-type.

This looks to me in contradiction with photographical evidence, like in the following examples:

Messerschmitt-Bf-109F2Trop-7.JG53-(W12+I)-background-North-Africa-1942-02.jpg

Messerschmitt-Bf-109F2-III.JG27-North-Africa-1941-01.jpg

Moreover, a clear reference to the F-2/Trop sub-variant is made in history of the JG 27 on Wiki:

"In settembre [1941], il I./JG 27 fu raggiunto dal II./JG 27, al comando di Wolfgang Lippert, che sul fronte orientale aveva ottenuto 43 vittorie in tre settimane. L'arrivo del II./JG 27, equipaggiato coi nuovi Bf 109F-2/Trop, versione specializzata per le condizioni operative africane, consentì al I./JG 27 di tornare in Germania, uno Staffel (squadriglia) alla volta, per scambiare i vecchi Bf 109E Emils coi nuovi Bf 109 Friedrichs. L'intero processo richiese ben più di un mese. Con l'arrivo dalla Russia del III./JG 27, alla fine di ottobre, entro dicembre l'intero JG 27 fu nel Nord Africa."

"In September [1941], the I./JG 27 was joined by II./JG 27, under the command of Wolfgang Lippert, who on the front Oriental had won 43 victories in three weeks. The arrival of the II / JG 27, equipped with the new Bf 109F-2 / Trop, a specialized version for African operating conditions, allowed I./JG 27 to return to Germany, one Staffel (squadron) at a time, to exchange the old Bf 109E Emils with the new Bf 109 Friedrichs. The whole process took well over a month. With the arrival from Russia of the III./JG 27, at the end of October, within December the entire JG 27 was in North Africa. "

I would like very much to be helped to understand how things went really, and especially what kind of machines operated with JG 27 during first half of 1942.

Attachments

• obmed.pdf
    50.3 KB · Views: 208
Hello all,

Planes on photographs are Bf 109 F-4Z/Trop, especially "white 1" on first picture (and also the one in the background). The clue is the larger oil cooler which will be found on G-2s.
On the second picture the "109" in the foreground is undoubtfully also an F-4Z/Trop. Z was for GM-1 device. Access to the cock for pressed air (bottles) was in the port wheel wells.
Finally there were no F-2s in North Africa and Wiki is wrong.
In the first half of 1942 only Bf 109 F-4/Trop were used.
Stab. JG 27 : from 3.42 to 5.43 (then Bf 109 G-6)
I./JG 27 : from 3.42 to 10.42 (then G-2/Trop, G-4 and G-6)
II./JG 27 : from 3.42 to 11.42 (then Gs of different versions)
III./JG 27 : from 3.42 to 3.43 (then Gs of different versions)

Spielmann

Last edited:
Never say never.
I agree that those fighters are almost certainly F-4s, however, Prien reckons that though no F-2 trop series was ever built some individual aircraft were modified. The example he gives is W.Nr. 5445 which was flown by 2.(H)/14 in North Africa as Black 5

Dear Sirs,

thanks for your replies.

I think you're wrong about the photos I posted, all sources I have concur about the armoured windscreen as being the main distinct feature of the F-4, detail that is absent from both. It looks that even some F-2 were retro-fitted with it.

After posting my query, I found at least one further source (in addition to Wiki), stating that during fall 1941 F-1 and F-2/Trop wer delivered to II./JG27 and then to the other two Gruppen of the same Geschwader. Very few F-1's received on field some sort of sand filter, whilst F-2 arrived tropicalized from the factory.

About 1942, you're right: no more F-2 were in service.

Regards,
GB

Some more evidence of Bf 109F-2/Trop in Africa (here the depth of oil radiator pose no doubts):

Bf_109F-2_yellow_2_captured.jpg

[source: worldwarphotos]
61edc2257229d054823d48594619fd11.jpg

[source: pinterest]
Messerschmitt-Bf-109F-JG27-North-Africa-1942-01.jpg

[source: asisbiz]

I have photos of the armoured windscreen on the F-2 in the book "Messerschmitt Bf 109 F, G, & K Series - An Illustrated Study".

A lot of F-2s were upgraded to F-4 standard. Some F-4s had features we might associate with the F-2 (I'm thinking of wheel wells and supercharger intakes as examples).
Identification is difficult.

The two certainties are the different oil coolers and, if you can see it, the fuel triangle. The oil coolers are not that different and it can be difficult to be certain. C3 is an F-2, B4 is an F-4 (or equivalent octane number).

I'm not sure about propeller blades. The wider chord blades seem to be fitted to F-4s, but I'm not sure if they also appear on F-2s, maybe someone can elucidate?

Hi,

The last three photographs show standard F-4s. Only F-4/Z had propeller with wider blades and larger oil cooler.

Spielmann

Users who are viewing this thread

Back