Bf 109F-4 Heinz Schmidt June 1942 4./JG52 ???

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

le_steph40

Senior Master Sergeant
Jan 18, 2011
Montech
www.facebook.com
Hello All,

First, I would like to wish a very happy new year to all members... I wish you the best for you and your loved family.
Here is my "problem": I found this picture in one of my books
IMG_1043.JPG

The comment says: An engine change of Bf 109F-4 white 6 from 4./JG52. This aircraft with the name "Gerda" under the cockpit was the mount of Lt. Heinz Schmidt (173 vict.) during june 1942 before being transferred to 5./JG52 late in June.
I don't understand: no JG52 insignia/badge, no 4./JG52 insignia (red cat with round back in a white circle) and no gruppe bar (But, it was common or current in II Gruppe at this time). Can we suppose that a 4./JG52 badge was visible on the engine hood as we can see on some others photos at the same period in the same unit ...?
This aircraft is in my future projects but I don't have any certitude about this aircraft. The other problem is, if it's a probable H. Schmidt aircraft, I don't know where to find a 4./JG52 insignia in decal...

TIA for your help and comments, regards
Steph

I went through a Kagero book about JG52 but found nothing about the kite. However I have noticed that all captions with BF109Fs of the unit without Gruppe markings say that these were F-2 variant. Most of these were of 2./3./4./5./JG52 squadrons. But those with Gruppe signs belonged to 6./7./8./9./JG52 units and all of these Bf109F were of F-4 type. It might be a clue but I'm not sure.

Hello,
I looked at in the Miniatury Lotnicze 35 regarding JG52 Vol.II by Kagero and, like you, I didn't find anything evident... So, in other book "Jagdfliegerverbände der Deutschen Luftwaffe 1934-1945 teil 9/II", I found some pictures of others Bf 109F-4 of the same unit at the same period (May-June 1942) with, it depends, the 4./JG52 below the cockpit or on the engine cover forward of the supercharger air intake, but no gruppe bar... And others pictures with no badge at all...
I think to build my model with the 4./JG52 badge on the engine cover and like showed by the photo, no gruppe bar and no JG52 badge...
Still thank you for your help and yours knowledge.
Steph

Users who are viewing this thread

Back