Bf-109G Gun Boats (Kanonenvogel)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mosshorn

Banned
Nov 13, 2009
It is well known that when a pair of 20 mm MG 151/20 cannons in conformal gun pods were installed under the wings of a Bf-109G it had adverse affects on the handling qualities, reducing its competence in fighter combat and accentuating the tendency of the plane to swing in a pendulum-fashion while in flight. (The conformal gun pods, without ammunition, weighed 135 kg (298 lb) and 135 to 145 rounds were provided per gun. The total weight, including ammunition, was 215 kg. Installation of the underwing gun pods was a simple task that could be quickly performed by the unit's armourers, and imposed a reduction of speed of only 8 km/h (5 mph). [Source: Radinger, Willy and Wolgang Otto. Messerschmitt Bf 109 F-K Development, Testing, Production.])

Question: Did the Luftwaffe have difficulty keeping the guns in the pods sighted in? The Bf-109 was well known for its wing movement (lack of stiffness/flutter.) They spent a lot of time jacking up the aircraft and sighting in the cannons, but did they stay sighted in after one or two flights of the heavy wing-loading that would have occurred in flight and combat?

Moss

After one or two flights they would probably get hammered by some Thunderbolt or Mustang jock anyway so it shouldn't have been a problem. Wings and guns probably ended up in different craters....

This arrangement would have worked well. I think it was dropped because ammunition for firing through the prop was electrically fuzed and the ammunition for the motor cannon was percussion fuzed and there was concern the two might be confused.

Moss

Attachments

• 20mm Chin Pod.jpg
    20mm Chin Pod.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 908
I like the 20mm chin gun pod arrangement and I agree that it would be a better option, however, as you have stated, wing mounted gun pods were easier to mount by the ground crews. However, whether they would remained sighted in, I am not sure, sorry. I guess they would have to be reset after a flight due to firing and combat flight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back