Bf 109H?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Njaco

The Pop-Tart Whisperer
Feb 19, 2007
Southern New Jersey
While going through some of my dad's old photos, I came across this pic. On the back is written:
Bf 109 H
John Caler
Atlanta, Georgia

Photo by John W. Underwood

Anybody know anything about this?

Attachments

• bf109h.jpg
    bf109h.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 335
Njaco

nice sig fits the times, excellent, like yours and Grau's

sorry but very hare to tell due to missing wings just what is on the pics in the cracked up state

Thanks Erich, the mood I've been in lately, my sig may be the substitute for the outdoor lights and various decorations this year...lol

As far as I've read, the H model was taken from the F chassis and modified. It is too bad that there aren't any wings attached, since the H's wings were unique. The tail was more pronounced as well. The canopy frame does look late, though.

Perhaps this three-view would help to compare details?

Attachments

• bf109h.gif
    bf109h.gif
    42.2 KB · Views: 610
The Bf-109H was an attempt to make a super-high altitude 109 using existing F airframes. They wanted to make a stop-gap interceptor and reconissance aircraft but better versions of the Ta-152 and 262 were nearing completion in their development cycle so the project was abandoned. The first "H-0" used the 601E and later prototypes used the Jumo 213. Performance was deemed unsatisfactory. And, regarding your photo Njaco, I don't think it would be easy to tell if it was an H unless you were told specifically so, because the extended wings aren't in the picture (granted, your Dad may have actually been told that, or knew that, whatever). Other than that, the fuselage looks looks like a stock late model 109. If it is actually an H, then you have a rare pic my friend.

Well, I'm comparing the 3-view with NJ's pic, and there's two things I see that point me towards a late G series.

One, is the tailwheel bulge on the H 3-view, which was to encase the tailwheel assembly to reduce drag. The photo shows a recess, much like the late G had.

The other, is the more pronounced cooler intake in the photo, which again, is consistant with the standard G series. The H had more of a stream-lined configuration to reduce drag.

Other than that, there's really not much to go on :(

...then it can't be a Bf 109 H. Look where the landing gear is attached. In the picture of the supposed H the gear is attached to the fuselage, while in the 3-view they are well outboard. I have always thought of the H, and the Z for that matter, somewhat of a myth. Just my humble opinion though. I'll take my beating now thank you!

I don't think its an 'H' either. My father didn't take the pic and it appears its one of those stock photos you could buy in a hobby shop. The photographer indentification is hand stamped whereas the rest is in my dad's handwriting. Maybe that is what he was told and he wrote that.

I'm thinking that with pha3e's link, its a pic of FE -124/T2-124 as it was shipped for restoration from GA. It appears its the G-10 at the AFM in Dayton.

...then it can't be a Bf 109 H. Look where the landing gear is attached. In the picture of the supposed H the gear is attached to the fuselage, while in the 3-view they are well outboard. I have always thought of the H, and the Z for that matter, somewhat of a myth. Just my humble opinion though. I'll take my beating now thank you!

Hey:!: -look at that. Duh. Very astute observation Capt. Vick. How did we miss the most obvious part of the pic? Now we just have to identify the model. Njaco, I believe you are right, it looks like a G-10. I just wish we could see the tail. Is that the only photo of the aircraft you have?

Yes, it was the only German one that my dad had. I think pha3e is on the right track. According to the link, the color pic might have been taken when Bud Weaver had it and then the pic on the truck is when Caler bought it - several years in the open would degrade it about that much. At least that is what it might be from.

Well, the problem I have with the original photo, is the tailwheel.

It has a recess at the tailwheel that existed up to the G-4 model, which didn't have that late model canopy available at the time...

I'm almost thinking it's an earlier fuselage with a later canopy?

Attachments

• bf109h_mystery_tail.jpg
    bf109h_mystery_tail.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 383

Users who are viewing this thread

Back