Biblane Hurricane

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

4trade

Airman
Feb 25, 2012
Finland
Wow....:shock:

A Hawker Hurricane, which featured a jettisonable top wing with integral fuel tanks, to reduce take-off distance with heavy loads, and to improve ferry range. The modification was implemented by F. Hills Sons and was designated the "Hillson FH.40". It proved too heavy to be serviceable.

hurricanBiplane.jpg

Not bad, we can add that next to the "DB" Hurricane Yugoslavia built, in the weird section of the Hurri's History :D

Not bad, we can add that next to the "DB" Hurricane Yugoslavia built, in the weird section of the Hurri's History

Hurricane have some weird mod´s history, like this open cocpit 2 seat Iranian trainer:

Hawker-Hurricane-Iran-1.jpg

That looks heavily armed for a trainer, those surely aren't .303's sticking out of the wings.

That looks heavily armed for a trainer, those surely aren't .303's sticking out of the wings.

Hurricane IIc - 4 x 20 mm cannon as standard armament. There's another photo of the same aircraft with a canopy over the rear cockpit. Note also that the hump fairing and what was called the 'Dog Box' is gone completely from aft of the cockpit. The 'Dog Box' was a light ply fairing that was narrow enough to enable the canopy to slide backwards.

The removal of the hump was simple since it was light wooden formers, which were covered in fabric; the structure beneath being a welded steel tube cage stretching back to the rudder post.

Last edited:
It's got a lot of visual similarity to the earlier Hawker Fury, but when you look close it's just a family resemblance. All Hawkers of that time period had some similarities.

While searching for RCAF Target Tugs, I found another picture but this one has the caption "with the RCAF" That can't be right, can it?(from wwiivehicles.com)

ww11.JPG

Geo

Although that Hurri (Hawker built Mk.I L1884) didn't ever fly with the RCAF, it did go to Canada as a pattern aircraft in 1939 before being returned to the UK. No doubt RCAF pilots got to fly it though. That might explain the caption.

The Hillson F.H.40 as it was known in this guise was operated under an Air Ministry contract with the Aircraft and Armament Experimental Establishment in 1942 before the idea was canned. The slip wing Hurri was actually designed to enable the Hurricane to lift a greater load, but it was found that later variants could achieve the parameters required with external stores, so the slip wing idea was not necessary.

Never seen your post when I entered mine Nuuumannn. Thanks for the info. I typed in Hillson F.H.40 into google images and there is a fair bit of stuff out there.

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back