Big bombers.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

plan_D

Lieutenant Colonel
Apr 1, 2004
Although not all these are WW2 bombers, I just want to compare them in size to one another and newer bombers with some interesting pics.

On the left a B-29 on the right a B-36.

A B-17 dwarfed by a B-52.

A B-52 and B-36, I don't know what the aircraft is on the far left, maybe someone knows?

Not good in showing size but, a B-17 and B-29

Two 17s headed up by a Lanc.

Sorry about how long it might take to load this.

The triangular shaped bomber is a B-58 Hustler, I believe it was America's first supersonic bomber. The second unidentified plane is a C-46 Commando. I believe it actually had a larger capacity than the C-47 but saw much less service overall.

C-46 was essential in flying the Hump in Burma, the C-47 didn't perform well at altitude. Over 3000 were built, and they were used in Korea and early Vietnam. One of Curtiss' great designs.

I knew about a plane called the C-46 but I never saw it, so I didn't recognise it. Thanks for the information. The C-47 is still in civilian use now, with many companies especially in Africa.

That can't be too healthy for the crew..I know it's not comparing size but its still a good photo. I was expecting some help in finding other pictures comparing sizes, but no.

I found a picture of a B-24 taxiing, with a B-29 behind it. It's not very good at comparing size, but I've lost it now.

Very large, yes. Have you heard about that new Airbus (Passenger plane) it's supposed to be the biggest aircraft yet, with the capacity of 800 passengers, I just mentioned it because it's BIG!

Users who are viewing this thread