Bismarck Battle Film Analysis

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks fr the link!

And I agree about the broadside!!!

Attachments

• bb-61-8505379.jpg
    bb-61-8505379.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 107
I did skim the whole analysis but not in detail. Seems they didn't analyze where the sun would have been at 0600 on that date to figure out conclusively whether or not the film was reversed. With the Bismarck seeming to be backlit through the whole sequence, I would have thought it would be a slam dunk to confirm without a doubt whether she was on the port or starboard side.

Interesting film. First time I've seen it.

A very intresting film indeed.

Crimea,

I dont think the video has been reversed at all, as the way the Bismarcks guns appear to be trained to the direction the Hood and Prince of Whales was comming from, which if I remember it was East South East of Bismarck and Prinz Eugen position.

GG, seeing the Bismarck battle it out, even in this short bit of film, is very impressive, especially as rounds are landing all around her and PE.

BP, I did read the conclusion:

"The images in the battle film and associated still photographs show port quarter views of the Bismarck firing to starboard. Since the British force was always on the port side of the German squadron, the battle film and associated still photographs must have been processed in reverse.

The battle film and associated still photographs, when properly oriented, conform to the other documentary evidence relative to the battle. The battle film supports the revised concept of the battle that envisions the Bismarck sailing in a straight line along the port side of the Prinz Eugen throughout the battle."

It's still possible the Brit ships were still ESE of the KM ships. If the KM ships' course was ~200 degrees or so as stated in the summary, Bismark would have had to be firing to port, as the conclusion states.

Last edited:
I've recently been interested in the Battle of the Denmark Strait, I've wanted to find out more.

I agree with others that the battleship is totally badass. Since reading a book on the subject, it seems true that if you had a battleship in your arsenal, you were a force to be reckoned with, but it was like the main prize of the navy. You would be edgy about using it in battle with fear of losing it, as they were so expensive. The last British battleship was HMS Vanguard I think. Aircraft carriers are virtually the pride of the fleet now, but the awesome power of these machines is just so cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back