Bit of help solving abit of a mystery please

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

109ROAMING

2nd Lieutenant
May 25, 2008
New Zealand
Hey guys

After Paul (Micdrow) posted a photo of the gun bays of a Corsair in Dan's Corsair thread it got me thinking as to what I had in the garage -the accompanying photos will tell all

Just wondering -if it would be possible to find out what they're off? they look/are upside down to the ones on the Corsair pic so I'm thinking possibly RNZAF Mustang?

Any help/comments are appreciated/welcome!

Cheers

Attachments

• Scan0001[1].jpg
    Scan0001[1].jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_0198.JPG
    IMG_0198.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_0199.JPG
    IMG_0199.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 381
  • IMG_0200.JPG
    IMG_0200.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_0203.JPG
    IMG_0203.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_0206.JPG
    IMG_0206.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_0205.JPG
    IMG_0205.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_0204.JPG
    IMG_0204.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 381
I can definately confirm that they would have been fitted to a P51-D (and probably standard fit on other types as well)

I've taken two quick scans from my P51-D parts catalogue...dated 25 Jul 1944 !...and You can cross reference from the drawing to the parts list and it clearly matches the part No's you photo'd. Check out Item 29 on the drawing and get the full parts description from the second scan. Chute, inboard gun feed, right hand no less !

Lucky s*d !

Attachments

• Mustang 1.jpg
    Mustang 1.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 342
  • Mustang 21.jpg
    Mustang 21.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:
:shock: Thanks Gary! exactly what I was after ,looks exactly like them! also I noted as per the diagrams the 'Gun End' was the right end!

I thought Cory was right and I wouldn't of had much chance

Wonder if it was off an RNZAF machine? guess il never know -spose its likely!

Thanks again mate! :notworthy:

My father got given them from a guy he use to work with -so yep in NZ .Would be cool if they are off an RNZAF Stang' ,considering what happened to them

Couldn't believe it when he came home that day!

Fantastic bits to have Daniel, and almost certainly of a RNZAF P51, I should think. Being 'found' in NZ, it's doubtful they'll be of any other Mustang.
As Gary said, lucky s*d!!!

Bloody hell Daniel!!! What a great score!

Don't mean to be a wet blanket, but two questions- First, why do you rule out the Corsair? If they are the links for the opposite wing to that photographed, wouldn't the belt appear 'upside down?' (Or did Hughes manufacture 'mirror' items for port/stbd respectively?)
Other aircraft options could include the P-40s, Avengers, or Venturas we used too, if the links are standard...

Secondly, could your dad ask the guy where he got them from, or when he found/got them? If they are Mustang links, there is a slight chance they may have come from the foreign birds we've imported since the 80's. (I hope they're original kiwi links though!!)

Evan

Sh!t didn't think of that! may just be me but looking at the "GUN END" it doesn't have the same end and wouldn't match up on the other side -although as you say they could be different on the other side

Going by Gary's first scan it looks as though the 'GUN END' and 'BOX END' match up correctly on the P-51D

Could easily be off a P-40 though too ,as we all know they have 6 .50 cals .If theres something I'm not seeing though certainly let me know!

Will talk to him tomorrow about it -all he said to me was he got them off a truck driver who was also a aircraft nut

Ah, the old "fell off the back of a truck" story...:) :)

Will try and have a look round to see if we can't suss out exactly what they're from.

...Just had a thought ( it happens occasionally :) ) Looking at the 'Gun end' and 'Box end' of your belt and Gary's drawing, is it possible the owners of that Corsair stuck them in the wrong way round??

Last edited:
Those were my exact thoughts too! Be really cool if I could find out what they're from

Ps.about to start doing those scans for ya now

I guess the burning question is if those chutes were used in other aircraft. I am guessing they probably were. Why would the procurement folks have several different chutes to manufacture during wartime? Seeing how they were manufactured by Hughes in Hollywood, it is safe to assume they are out of an American aircraft, but you never know.

The felexible feed chutes were made in varying lengths, so as to be used on a variety of aircraft. Long feeds were used on the waist guns of B17's and B24's for example. But, the deciding factor on which aircraft those particular feeds are from will be the length, and available angle of bend. It is possible they could be from a Sabre, as well as other RNZAF aircraft armed with Browning .50 Cals, but doubtfu, as the lengthe looks to be exactly the same as that fitted to the P51.
The Corsair feeds were shorter overall, and angled down to the guns fairly steeply. These felexible chutes are fitted to the ends of the main ammo trays and rigid chutes, to allow the bend toward the feed tray of the gun's receiver without kinks, and the Mustang required a specific feed length, and step motors, to prevent stoppages due to poor, or interupted feed.
Although it is possible they are off a different aircraft, I very much doubt it, especially if the part numbers match in any way to the manual posted by Gary.

Thats why I'm now convinced they're off a Mustang

"Sabre ,as well as other RNZAF aircraft" am I reading this the wrong way or do you think Terry the RNZAF operated Sabres? did we?

I'm not 100% certain if RNZAF operated Sabres Daniel, although I think they did for a time; I'd have to check, as so many countries used the type. I know Australia certainly did.
But, even if not, the feed chutes on Sabres were longer anyway - I think even the shortest one, for the bottom gun on the Sabre, would be longer than any of the Mustang feeds. Obviously I can't be certain until verified, but I'm fairly sure they are off a Mustang.

:shock: News to me we operated Sabres! Sh!t it'd surprise me theres even been a Sabre in NZ

I agree they seem to be off a Mustang -COOL!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back