Black B-26 units in the Pacific? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Apr 22, 2016
High Bridge, NJ
I'm a big music fan, including jazz. Some may know of the great black guitarist/pianist/composer and all around hilariously great entertainer Slim Galliard.
He worked with many greats including Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker, etc. He had an incredible life.

So, what does that have to do with aviation? In my years as a fan of Slim, I never knew that he was B-26 pilot in the Pacific in WWII! Wow.

In all the bios and discussion of his life, that appears as just a footnote, given his huge musical genius and popularity. But, really, wow. He doesn't seem to have even discussed it. Just another amazing chapter in his crazy life.

I'd love to try to model an aircraft of his unit, or even his plane. (Given his creative propensities, I imagine it could have had some wild nose art...).

I assume that, given the times, he would have served in an all-black unit, though I could be wrong.

Does anyone know? Any pointers to info? All I have found is this: B26.COM 2015 Guest book - dedicated to Martin B-26 Marauder Men.

Any help appreciated.

Dave G.

I beleive that he may have been attached to the 477th BG, which was part of the 1st AF and an all African-American unit.
They trained with B-25s and B-26s, though it's my understanding that they never deployed to a forward area in time to see combat.

Dave, if this is the only proof for his military career (copied from WIKI):
In 1943 Gaillard was drafted in the United States Army Air Forces and "qualified as a pilot flying [...] B-26 bombers in the Pacific" and resumed his music career on his release from the draft in 1944.
I'll be ve-e-e-e-ery cautious how trustworthy it is.
To start with the 2 years: it seems strange (but not impossible) to "be drafted" (actually the correct description is "to enlist") in 1943, to become a pilot, to fly missions and to be discharged in 1944, unless he was injured and then discharged earlier. In fact below are the correct years:

Full Name Bulee Gaillard
Social Security Number ***-**-1591
Birth Date 4 Jan 1911
Death Date 26 Feb 1991
Cause of Death Unknown
Organization Code ARMY
Organization Army
Branch Army
Enlistment Date 18 Dec 1942
Release Date 10 Oct 1944
Conflict Period World War II
Served for United States of America

Above data is copied from the Veterans Affairs BIRLS Death File for Bulee Gaillard. I found something more interesting for you: Bulee Gaillard's Draft Registration Card from 1940 filled and signed by him personally - see attached.
As per the above data he served in the Army and USAAF was part of the Army during WWII. But don't forget, he was 31 years old in 1942. It's highly improbable that he was sent to train for a pilot, without having any flying experience at that age. But who knows....
The attached documents are for free download from Fold3.
Cheers!

Attachments

• Gaillard, Bulee (1911) - Page 1.pdf
    294.8 KB · Views: 64
  • Gaillard, Bulee (1911) - Page 2.pdf
    287.7 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
What's interesting, is the original 477th BG was formed under the 3rd AF in spring of '43, training for B-26s but was inactivated a short while later, in August.
The 477th was reactivated in January of '44 under the 1st AF as an all African-American unit, training with B-25s and P-47s, but as I mentioned earlier, the 477th never deployed.

So something is a bit off in Mr. Gilliard's biography.

How long would he have been in pilot training? 9 months or so? And the last combat operations flown by B-26 units in the Pacific were in Jan 1944.

I'm a big music fan, including jazz. Some may know of the great black guitarist/pianist/composer and all around hilariously great entertainer Slim Galliard.
He worked with many greats including Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker, etc. He had an incredible life.

So, what does that have to do with aviation? In my years as a fan of Slim, I never knew that he was B-26 pilot in the Pacific in WWII! Wow.

In all the bios and discussion of his life, that appears as just a footnote, given his huge musical genius and popularity. But, really, wow. He doesn't seem to have even discussed it. Just another amazing chapter in his crazy life.

I'd love to try to model an aircraft of his unit, or even his plane. (Given his creative propensities, I imagine it could have had some wild nose art...).

I assume that, given the times, he would have served in an all-black unit, though I could be wrong.

Does anyone know? Any pointers to info? All I have found is this: B26.COM 2015 Guest book - dedicated to Martin B-26 Marauder Men.

Any help appreciated.

Dave G.
I am very interested in this thread particularly if anything further is posted regarding a black B-26 squadron or any other black squadrons in the Pacific theater. The Tuskeegee Airmen are well known of course, but I have never heard of any other black airmen during WWII. Any info would be appreciated

I do not claim any specific information on black officers. However, considering the racial prejudice that was in all military branches at that time, I cannot understand why they would draft a black man (college educated?) to become a pilot. i suppose the exigencies of war might have by passed the color line??

Since the ONLY training base for black pilots during WWII was at Tuskegee, he would have to be listed as a "Tuskegee Airman." He is not. Here is the official list of pilot graduates.

PILOT LISTING

This is from the Tuskegee Airmen's official website.

"In addition to training fighter pilots, Tuskegee graduated a group of twin-engine pilots. They were assigned to the 477th Bombardment Group and flew the B-25 Mitchell bomber, a twin-engine, medium bomber. The Group was activated with four bombardment squadrons; the 616th, 617th, 618th, and 619th. However, the war against Japan ended before the 477th Group could be deployed overseas."

and

"From 1941 to 1946, approximately 1,000 pilots graduated from TAAF, receiving their commissions and pilot wings. The black navigators, bombardiers, and gunnery crews were trained at other selected military bases elsewhere in the U.S. Mechanics were initially trained at Chanute Air Base in Rantoul, IL, until facilities were in place at TAAF in 1942."

So, him being a B-26 pilot is the stuff of urban legend. Note his Wikipedia page which claims he was a pilot has NO government documents or official information as proof, whatsoever.

-Irish

Early in WWII, all pilots in the USAAF, US Navy and the US Marines, were university graduates, officers, and gentlemen. This includes the Tuskeegee airmen. I believe there were programs for training regular guys as pilots, but they were commissioned when they passed flight school. How would Galliard fit into this system. If he was indeed a working class guy trained as a pilot late in the war, how could he be discharged in 1944.

Go to the Wikipedia page and read the Talk page. A lot of stuff is being questioned.

Early in WWII, all pilots in the USAAF, US Navy and the US Marines, were university graduates, officers, and gentlemen. This includes the Tuskeegee airmen.
Errr - NO!

There were PLENTY of pilots trained prior to WW2 who were brought up through the enlisted ranks, through the AAC Cadet program or through the US Navy NAP program. If you enlisted and had some college under your belt your chances of getting into flight training were better.

My kids great grandfather flew B-24s in the Pacific. He received a 1st Lt commission and never had a college degree.

Greg Boyington a gentleman?

Boyington had a university degree and he was an officer. How could he not be a gentleman?

He also was a pro-wrestling referee.
Because if you read about his antics he had a severe drinking problem and sometimes acted like a jerk! My ex's dad ran a bowling alley in Burbank CA and had to kick him and his wife out of the place for brawling after pounding down a few. By his own admission "Show me a hero and I'll show you a bum."

Do those two things automatically make someone a gentleman?
No gentleman, just a man. A bum or not, glad he was on our side.
As i have not been at the bad end of his stick or behaviour, it is easy to take the back view. He is, and i think always be, an inspiration and a hero.
Faulted.. yes perhaps or indeed. Lets concentrate on the hero part. He deserves this. He does.

No gentleman, just a man. A bum or not, glad he was on our side.
As i have not been at the bad end of his stick or behaviour, it is easy to take the back view. He is, and i think always be, an inspiration and a hero.
Faulted.. yes perhaps or indeed. Lets concentrate on the hero part. He deserves this. He does.

I have no issues with him at all.

My point was simply that being an officer or having a college degree does not make someone a gentleman.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back