Black RAF Aircrew in WW2 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

LouiseB

Recruit
Mar 14, 2013
Hi. I am doing research for an author on the history of black volunteer aircrew in the RAF during WW2. Can anyone tell me anything about this or point me somewhere? I can't find a lot online but we know that over 400 of these men existed! Thanks :)

There's quite a bit online. Try something like "Carribean RAF aircrew" as a search.
Men from the region made a significant and often overlooked contribution. Good luck with the project,anything that raises the profile of these men has to be a good thing.
Cheers
Steve

The "RAF Commands Forum" should be able to point you to some references. It's something they've done before, very helpful there.

Definitely not the best source of information, But I vividly remember watching this BBC show called 'Small Island' or something like it that chronicles the life of a black Jamaican pilot serving in RAF Bomber Command.

Anyone heard of it?

Did the RAF have any black pilots?

It most certainly did. About 350 aircrew amongst whom many pilots.
I made a model of Seargeant James Hyde's Spitfire IX some time ago. He hailed from Trinidad which produced a lot of airmen,180+. The model was donated and I'd have to look up the details.

jhyde_zpsce7a5e92.gif

Here is a group of RAF men representing several Carribean countries.

wigroupcross-300x224_zps904070e9.gif

I don't know the show mentioned but I do remember an emminent Trinidadian (later a senior politician) served as a navigator on Mosquitos.

Cheers

Steve

Stona, thank you for that valuable information you have provided.

I'm always eager to learn new information regarding the great but sadly often downplayed and overlooked contributions that minorities made during the war.

There were some Black pilots from Trinidad in ww1. In ww2 there were a number of pilots from a number of countries in particular India

I don't know the show mentioned but I do remember an emminent Trinidadian (later a senior politician) served as a navigator on Mosquitos.

Cheers

Steve

You're thinking of Ulrich Cross, who was on 105 Sqn, I believe during their low-level days.

Quite a few Maori also served with the RAF ( though not black per se). A Maori bomber pilot shot down over Europe participated in the Great Escape - he was recaptured and executed by the Gestapo. A Maori pilot serving in the RNZAF claimed the first Japanese aircraft shot down over Singapore

You're thinking of Ulrich Cross, who was on 105 Sqn, I believe during their low-level days.

Yes,I think that might be him. Quite a man,what a remarkable career both during and after the war.
Cheers
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back