BMW 801D engine in the FW-190... Some Questions

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

contrails16

Airman
Jul 13, 2020
Massachusetts, USA, Earth
Hi all! So I am writing this just because I thought I knew a decent amount about the 190, but today I found some sources saying that the 801D engine ran only on 100 octane fuel? I'm just a little confused as I always thought it ran off of the 87 octane B-4 gas. Another question I would like to ask while posting this is more of just to verify my previous knowledge. I know that early versions of the FW-190 prior to the A5 had engine overheating issues, and that this could lead to the engine being perceived as unreliable, but didn't the A5 and onward have more space in the engine bay to allow adequate cooling of the rear cylinders? Thank you all for your time and knowledge:)

I thought BMW 801A and C ran off 87 octane B4 and 801D ran off of 94-96 octane C3? And I thought the Germans moved the firewall forward for center of gravity reasons, though the cooling might have been a nice addition, along with the ability to mount MG 131.
I am going to be honest, I am not sure, I am starting to get the feeling that a lot of websites are spreading misinformation about the engine sadly, which is why I came here in hopes of finding the truth.

190's needed C3 fuel. DB's used C3 in the 601N series and 87 in the rest.

A8 translated handbook - go to part 7 on Engine Operating and Fuel Supply System page 55.

Data plate from 19-8-1943

A-2 through A-6 - paragraph #7 states C3

Last edited:
I think it's pretty well established that the BMW 801D ran on C3 fuel but there may have been exceptions to this.

This is an interesting document which shows the results of testing performed on various samples of fuel taken from downed German aircraft. Discussion of C3 fuel starts on page 9. The listed octane numbers show us how it rated using allied testing procedures. It looks like the lean rating hovered somewhere in the mid 90s....

Attachments

• Analysis_German_Fuels.pdf
    953.9 KB · Views: 209
I`d be interested to hear where the source for contention is on this, its pretty well established.

The only times where the 801 was on B4, were versions 801 C or earlier, and later on as an emergency measure when there wasnt
any C3 about, in operations many engines were de-rated to use whatever was on hand (i.e lowering the boost). However as far
as factory specs go, the 801 D onwards was definetly not specified for B4.

1597924039278.png

1597924078730.png

Its pretty easy to differentiate BMW 801 A,B,C to D versions as the A,B,C on B4 are all limited to 1.32ata manifold pressure. These were typically bomber engines.

C3 came in with the D version: (this is in English as its from the British Intelligence file on the 801)

1597924554074.png

As far as 801 unreliability, there are many aspects to that, and there was a lot of work reworking the exhaust pipes etc and improving the cooling
as was the case for all air-cooled engines. However, most of the problems were metallurgical in nature, and indeed the 801 was
deeply unreliable until somewhere around late 1942. There isnt really a "cut off date" for that, the issues were always ongoing to various degrees.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for taking the time to answer this for me. I can't remember where I read the 801D ran B4, perhaps it may have been me incorrectly associating A,B,C variants with the D. I think I was also shocked to find out that the 801D was meant for C3 fuel, as when it was introduced in 1942, I thought the Germans were struggling to acquire such octane fuel. Thank you everyone once again. Another question I have for you knowledgeable bunch is in short, what did BMW and Focke Wulf do to fix the overheating issue on the FW-190's equipped with earlier engines? Thanks ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back