BoB 1/48 Hurricane Decal help.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Code letters for the Hurricane at this time were supposed to be 30 inches tall, in Medium Sea Grey, although variations from 28 inch to 48 inch were applied by some squadrons. Photo evidence shows this Squadron used either 30 inch or 36 inch code letters. The serial numbers were black, 8 inches high.
Note that this particular aircraft was an early production batch, with fabric-covered wings.

Wow thanks for the definitive answer. Any recommendations for decal manufacturer?

Cheers Chris

I normally use 'Xtradecal' , the old Microscale range, from Hannant's. In those instances where the size is 'odd', where I can't get the correct dimensions in 1/48th, then wherever possible I use a larger scale size, in 1/72nd scale, where the sizes fit, that is.
From memory, Hannant's have one or two other ranges for RAF code letters, 'Tally Ho' being one, although they have now stopped production. But Hannant's might still have some.
Failing that, paint the fuselage sides Medium Sea Grey, measure and mark positions for the roundel and code letters, and cut masks for the letters from Tamiya masking tape. Apply the masks, then paint the camouflage colours. Remove the masks, and Voila! - painted code letters!

Here is a shot of a Hurricane I P2765 UP-A of the 605th Squadron dated the September 1940.... the source - the Internet.

Hurricane I P2765 UP-A 605sqn 1940.jpg

Good stuff Wojtek. I would say the codes are 36 inch here - the size which seemed more common. Large codes, such as those used by 32 Sqn were normally 40 inch, and small codes, as per 111 Sqn were 24 inch.

The picture will help a lot with the positioning thanks.
It will deffinately be done using shop bought decals as I am far too lazy to paint them.

Would the underside have been black and white?

Cheers Chris

No - by September it would be 'Sky', or one of the 'unit level' variations. ('Sky' will suffice, as variations could be subtle!).
The Black/White under sides were discontinued in June 1940, following the return from France, the 'Sky' under sides being introduced on June 6th. Originally, this was without roundels on the wing under sides, but on August 1st, 1940, 'C' Type roundels of 50 inch diameter were introduced. Black was re-introduced on the port wing only, in November 1940, but this was nearly two months after the loss of your subject.
Note that this aircraft was probably still fitted with a De Havilland prop and spinner, and might still have had the early radio mast, although VHF radio was being introduced around this time. Only further research can verify the radio mast I'm afraid.

Thanks again Airframes. You don't fancy building and painting it for do you? No seriously it should be fine and going to be a close as possible without any existing photographs of the plane.

Just to explain a little of what I do with these models. I collect crash relics and frame them with either a drawing, print or actual photograph where possible. The on an exact same size base I model the aircraft in question. Researching takes so long to get it as accurate as possible and so far I have around 21ish specific aircraft to complete. So far I have modelled and framed Dambusters Lanc - AJ-Z , Memphis Belle and another B-17G that I researched on here a while ago (from the time team Reedham Marshes Dig). All bombers are modelled in 1/72 and fighters 1/48.

05424249-C60B-4436-B5EB-4A3717D271A1-38518-000025909081D08D.jpg

C9093DD2-5039-4D30-AFD5-12CC7750471B-38518-00002590CC95F44C.jpg

And the construction starts on my display unit -

D04BF443-8F87-4906-B87F-199233F6DFCB-38518-00002590FE3838B4.jpg

I will start a thread somewhere and keep it updated.
I can't take credit for the two above models as I had them built for me.

Cheers Chris

Hi Evan, thanks. The artwork side of your skill I may be interested in. In the future I'm looking to replace some of the copies of prints that I use in the frames with scetches of the actual plane. It would be fairly easy to do as by that time the models will have been built so I have a good reference for the drawing. I would just be looking for black and white A5 scetches.

But that comes only after all relics are framed with initial pictorial example and models are built. About two years time in reality.

Here's the hurricane relic that relates to this thread -

C5A9AF11-FA06-4C7F-9E9F-CE22F96490D6-38661-000025A20551111B.jpg

Total cost including me doing the framing £40.

Cheers Chris

Great stuff!
Like Evan, I'm an artist too, specifically aviation art, although the debilitating effects of progressive Rheumatoid Arthritis are making things more awkward as each year passes. Many of the models I've built have been to use as 'studio models' for specific paintings, and like you, I often try to match things up, with a model to go with the painting or sketch, or vice versa.
I only have a couple of bits and pieces in the way of relics these days, but I'm slowly starting to collect more affordable, recognisable items, in the way of instruments, equipment and so on. The more models and bits I accumulate, the more my house resembles a cross between a work shop, studio, museum, and crowded warehouse!
I really need to get out more!!

Thanks Wayne.

Terry, I know somebody who is looking for some artwork doing for their dads birthday. It will be either a DC-8 or an Avro York. If you fancy the job, PM me your email address and I can forward on.

Relics are cool and I think at the minute there are some good examples around at reasonable prices. I'd just steer clear of Dambuster's until the money makers have forgotten about the anniversary and stopped selling at inflated prices.
Next on my list of significant planes are the Enola Gay and one of the Doolittle B-25's but there a bit on the pricey side for me at the minute.

Here are my relics from ED937 AJ-Z -

68BCF4CF-D059-48EB-AB7C-7D7B74C0590E-39856-000026A77D4D27C5.jpg

And

66B66531-13B3-4AE6-A1F9-83FF74132BBB-39856-000026A7BA252A88.jpg

The pipe is due for cleaning once I have experimented with Citric acid a little bit more. I can't risk the loss of that piece if it goes belly up !

Cheers Chris

Last edited:
Nice bits and pieces. Thanks for the offer regarding the art work Chris, but I don't want to take on anything with a tight schedule at the moment, as I have an unfinished canvas still on the easel, and two more to do yet!

Great pieces Chris!

And sure, no worries! Will drop my e-mail address in a PM, anytime you need a sketch done let me know.

And also to confirm - Terry's models and artwork are brilliant, check his threads and you'll see what I mean!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back