Boeing B-17G to be highlight of WWII center in New Orleans (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Njaco

The Pop-Tart Whisperer
Feb 19, 2007
Southern New Jersey
Boeing B-17G to be highlight of WWII center in New Orleans

A restored Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress will be the centerpiece of a new Boeing-sponsored "United States Freedom Pavilion" at the National World War II Museum, in New Orleans, the museum announced Friday.

"The United States Freedom Pavilion will be our largest building, a dramatic architectural statement anchoring the entire museum campus," Museum President and Chief Executive Officer Gordon "Nick" Mueller said at Friday's ceremony, according to a news release. "It will further our mission to tell all generations the epic story of the war that changed the world – every service, every campaign, every hero."

The museum announced it got a $20 million congressional grant through the Department of Defense and a $15 million gift from Boeing for the new center, which is scheduled to open in early 2012.

"Boeing is proud to support The National World War II Museum and help repay a debt to the soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines who sacrificed so much in that global war, many who never returned to their homes and families," Boeing Defense, Space and Security President and Chief Executive Officer Dennis Muilenburg said at Friday's ceremony, according to the release. "We also believe that, as this museum pays lasting tribute to all those who sacrificed on the battlefronts and the home front during World War II."

In addition to the B-17, the center is slated to include a B-25J Mitchell Bomber, TBM Avenger, North American P-51 Mustang and Douglas SBD Dauntless.

Galleries will pay tribute to all branches of U.S. Armed Forces active during World War II: the Army, Army Air Corps, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard and Merchant Marine. Interactive experiences will illustrate how the branches worked together in such critical battles as Normandy, the Battle of the Bulge, Iwo Jima, Guadalcanal and Okinawa.

Visitors will be able to man submarine positions and perform battle actions based on the last war patrol of the USS Tang in the Pacific Theater, as the sub engages the Japanese Imperial Naval Forces.

Attachments

• wwiimuseum.jpg
    wwiimuseum.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 140
NO East looks like the day after Katrina almost I have been through there several times since.One can still see holes in roofs were people axed there way out.The problem from what I understand it's all below sea level while the French Quarter one of the orginal settlements is above SL.The oldtimers back then even knew do not build below SL but somehow in the 20th century we thought we could with levees as the protection.The DDay Mueseum is pretty nice my son and I have been a few tiimes and is forever expanding and one could see the plans for expansion the last time we were there,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back