Bomber boys (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A very good thoughtfull programme about Bomber Command, Harris, the Lancaster and the boys that flew them.
It was made it clear that BC was a multinational force (with 1 in 4 being a volunteer from outside Britain), the terrible losses,personal courage and crew loyalty.
The German determination to stop them with night fighters with ingenious upward firing cannons. A LW vet was interviewed with his log of bombers he shot down.
It was an interesting comparison between the the presenters faux hand wringing over the Cologne 1000 bomber raid and Dresden and the BC veterans flat statement that they were engaged in 'total war'. I know who I am inclined to believe.
The RAF Lancaster looked magnificent and as the last airworthy one in Britain ( the other being in Canada) is a very precious plane.
Loved by us.. as are all our old warriors...just a pity that Churchill ignored BC in his V day speech and it took till 2012 for BC to be commemorated with its own statue.

John

Last edited:
Most numbers and sources indicate that 25% of Bomber Command was Canadian and about 15% others far higher then 1 in 4

No disrespect Neil, The programme was at pains to point out how much was owed to the overseas volunteers. The Canadian air training school was singled out for praise as the best to go to for fledgling bomber pilots. The 1 in 4 was mentioned, maybe it was at a moment in time...
John

The Canadian Lanc visiting the Virginia Military Aviation Museum

Attachments

• P1010012croprsz.jpg
    P1010012croprsz.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 83
Long may she fly.
John

woud love to hitch a ride in one. I tried to sign on as crew for the PBY that reenacted the 1919 USN/USCG crossing of the Atlantic by the NC-4 and of course was rejected. Not surpising considering I was at the bottom of a VERY Long list. However, I was surpised to find out that my crew participated in the evolution as a logistical support bird ferrying passengers and media to the Azores in 1986. That's as close as I have come to actually catching a hop in one of the big old birds. Maybe one day before I die, I'll find myself half-way to heaven lifted there to the sound of 4 merlins. It's not likely but one can dream...

A very good thoughtfull programme about Bomber Command, Harris, the Lancaster and the boys that flew them.
It was made it clear that BC was a multinational force (with 1 in 4 being a volunteer from outside Britain), the terrible losses,personal courage and crew loyalty.
The German determination to stop them with night fighters with ingenious upward firing cannons. A LW vet was interviewed with his log of bombers he shot down.
It was an interesting comparison between the the presenters faux hand wringing over the Cologne 1000 bomber raid and Dresden and the BC veterans flat statement that they were engaged in 'total war'. I know who I am inclined to believe.
The RAF Lancaster looked magnificent and as the last airworthy one in Britain ( the other being in Canada) is a very precious plane.
Loved by us.. as are all our old warriors...just a pity that Churchill ignored BC in his V day speech and it took till 2012 for BC to be commemorated with its own statue.

John

Managed to catch the last 15 minutes of Bomber Boys. Could tell it was a great programme. I forgot about the upward firing cannon in German night fighters. According to a DVD documentary I have got on the Lancaster, German night fighters were Me110 and Ju88C's (just saying).

I have a short phone clip of the Memorial Flight Lancaster somewhere, took as it flew right over my head at low level. Let's just say I was the only one on the ground that cheered as it flew by. Would like to show it, but from what I can see, you can only upload web links on here. Absolutely love the soundtrack of those Merlin engines!

Andy

iPlayer only works in the UK (unless you use a proxy or pay the subscription) same with any UK TV Online catchup service.

It was a good programme and I really enjoyed it. Was nice to see the enthusiasm of the McGregor brothers throughout the whole programme and in particular the flying scenes.

I saw the BoB one a while back and it was well done. Hopefully will catch this one here in the colonies soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back