Bomber crash site, type unknown, help needed

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

justmic

Airman
Jan 20, 2008
Hi,
I am from Austria and have discovered a crash site.
Background:
We bought a little farm north of the Alps not far from the Danube last summer. It turned out that, sometime from 1944 to 1945, a bomber which was shot down by the st. Valentin flak, crashed in our and our neighbors forrest. The neighbors remembered the fact and told uns one day that the plane was shot down during a raid against either Linz, Steyr or Wels.
I dont have very much information yet about the exact date and time.

Today we decided to take a closer look and discovered very many parts. The best thing we found looks like it could be a windowframe. Other things we found include wires, a lot of aluminum and a few things which have readable numbers on them.
I need help identifiing what we found and maybe finding out what type of bomber it could have been. The neighbors remember their parenst speaking of a four engined aircraft (it came in from the south, chopped of the top of the neighbors pear tree hitting the roof antenna and then crashed in the trees beyond.)
I have also been thinking about contacting someone about missing personel.
Nobody knows if there where any survivors after the crash, it seems that a few chutes had been seen, but that ist all. No information about how many.

Is anybody interested in helping to identify pieces? If so I will post pictures of all the parts we found. We have only just begun to dig.

Thanks,

Greetings from central Europe,

Michael

Hi Michael, welcome to the forum. Numbers, pictures and a more exact location would be very helpful in trying to identify the wreck. A metal detector may help also.

From what I understand bigger parts of the aircraft can be up to and more then 6 feet into the ground due to the impact of the aircraft.

Might be worth it to ask the neighbors if they remember if anybody came out and salvaged anything after the crash due to live ammo or bombs that could be in the area if it is a bomber.

Hope that helps!!!

Hi,
thanks for the welcome.

I will try to post the pictures tomorow.

Michael

couldnt wait.... fotographed two parts.... more to come next few days..

Attachments

• Teil1-1.jpg
    Teil1-1.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 290
  • Teil1-2.jpg
    Teil1-2.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 293
  • Teil1-3.jpg
    Teil1-3.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 292
  • Teil1-6.jpg
    Teil1-6.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 273
  • Teil1-5.jpg
    Teil1-5.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 299
Well, that didnt work right... kinda big the pictures...what is the best size for jpegs?

Attachments

• Teil2-1.jpg
    Teil2-1.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 245
  • Teil2-2.jpg
    Teil2-2.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 269
Hard to say - it looks like a fuel filler neck.

Like Dan said, any part numbers or inspection stamps would help, espically if they are taken from airframe (aluminum) parts. Things like knobs, switches, and fluid fittings are standard parts and could go to any a number of aircraft.

One part (see picture), material aluminium length in centimeters, has a number on it.
No information on exact date of crash. Will be hard to find out but im on to it.
I will post all the other fotos tonight, there are very many interesting parts.

Attachments

• Part 3-1.jpg
    Part 3-1.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 308
The part that Flyboy identified as a maybe fuel filler neck, I found six of those. No telling how many more there are. Of the crown nuts only one. If you look closer at the hugh pics you can see some stamps... mainly on the filler-thing.... the nut has a number on it.
What kind of stamps are we looking for? And how should the numbers be?
Is there a code for different types of manufacturers like the Wehrmacht had?
byf..cra... and so on?
The neighbors only remember their parents speaking of a four engined aircraft crashing in daylight.... would that make it a usaaf aircraft versus british (night operations)?

Michael,

if that A/C went down in a day light and if it was a 4 engine bomber, an US A/C would be more logical, 15th USAF, B-24 or B-17. But it´s too soon for a decision...
Anyway, I´ve opened also a tread on another forum, where some of the members are also WW2 vets, some of them even flight engineers from B-17s and B-24s which have spare parts books in their heads, so I just wanted to increase your chance...8)
So if you´re interested, resize your pictures that you wanna post yet to approx 100 kB and put them also here Request for help in identifying the A/C type

Hard to say - it looks like a fuel filler neck.

Like Dan said, any part numbers or inspection stamps would help, espically if they are taken from airframe (aluminum) parts. Things like knobs, switches, and fluid fittings are standard parts and could go to any a number of aircraft.

Joe,

I like your siggy, Czech your six
Could also be Czech your sixpack :lol:

Hi Roman,
thanks for the effort. I would like to post the pictures there, but the link won't work and my browser will not open the given adress.....

(I resized the pictures)

Hi Roman,
thanks for the effort. I would like to post the pictures there, but the link won't work and my browser will not open the given adress.....

(I resized the pictures)

strange...anyway, go to
The United States Army Air Forces in W.W.II, then
The Forums , then
Subforums- Heavy and Very Hevy Bombers
and the first thread is yours - Request for help in idetifying A/C type

and let me know if you got there...
If the link still doesn´t work, it is armyairforces.com

I'll have to try from home this evening.... looks like the voestalpine doesn't allow the page to be opened, all I get is an Error 500 on The United States Army Air Forces in W.W.II

See you later....

Attachments

• Zwischenablage01.jpg
    Zwischenablage01.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 181

Users who are viewing this thread

Back