Book on BMW aircraft engines. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MeyerBMW

Airman
Nov 14, 2006
California
I was told that there is a book on BMW aircraft engines. I am unable to find this book. Does it exsist? If so where can I find it. I am told it is about $500. Since I work for BMW I am going to call them and ask but thought I would try here. You guys seem to know alot. Thanks, Scott

I was told that there is a book on BMW aircraft engines. I am unable to find this book. Does it exsist? If so where can I find it. I am told it is about $500. Since I work for BMW I am going to call them and ask but thought I would try here. You guys seem to know alot. Thanks, Scott

Hi MeyerBMW, Ive never heard of a manual that covers all the aircraft engines. Doesnt mean there isnt one. Below is a website where you can get BMW aircraft engine manuals. Just scroll down to Engine's area and click on BMW

Luftfahrt-Archiv Hafner

Hope it helps, maybe some one else knows more.
Micdrow

It's out now.And I should, I was working on it too. ;)

"BMW aero engines" ISBN 978-3-86852-214-3

I'm not sure if you can order it through Amazon yet, but that will be only a matter of days I think.

Krabat

The authors are Fred Jakobs, Christian Pierer and Robert Kröschl. If you can't find it on the net, just wait a week or two. It came from the printing press only days ago.

Krabat

The authors are Fred Jakobs, Christian Pierer and Robert Kröschl. If you can't find it on the net, just wait a week or two. It came from the printing press only days ago.

Krabat

Thanks Krabat , I'm on holiday for the next month so I will await this title :)

Any news on BMW Aero Engines? I have been looking for it since June and can't find it in the U.S.A. or Canada.

Hello, hrandy...I thought this book would be great for the "gear-heads" too. i did a quick search of the 'net and came up with this post by "Wurger" on something called the Secret Projects Forum....
I`ve just bought "BMW aero engines, Milestones in aviation from the beginnings to the present", english version of the original german work by Fred Jakobs, Robert Kröschel and Christian Pierer. It is published by BMW and distributed by Heel Verlag.
I would report more on the subjects who interest me more, e.g. the engine projects from the 1930`s/40`s. The books has a fair ammount of BMW`s projected engines, including some otherwise unknown to me, like the F9011 inverted in-line 24 (4x6) cylinder, the F9052 36 cylinder four row radial ( could be combined with another to form a 72 cylinder ) and developing up to 10000hp. It was pleasing to have a factory plan of the P8008 "Turbo-Compound" ( which I knew from "Flugmotoren and Strahltriebwerke" in text ), with three turbochargers and a two stage supercharger. There are more brilliant stuff on the BMW 802 ( what a superb engine this would be, full of technical novelties ) and 803 ( photos of the slide valves, both disc and conical). It is worth the price (49Euro) just for this.
Unfortunatelly it hasn`t much on Bramo developments ( The Bramo 300 and 329 still have no face to me ), as well as the elusive BMW 140.
On turbojets, no addings to the already known BMW line. Rockets have a chapter, too.

Generally speaking: excellent photos, comprehensive text, nice factory plans and some hitherto unknown powerplants. Nice for us, who love "paper projects".

He adds some information on a bookseller in Germany a few posts later:
I`m afraid you`ll have to buy it from Germany. Try here:

Christian Schmidt Fachbuchhandlung

That may help you track this down, but while it all seems to be solid information be sure to verify before plopping down your hard-earned pounds, euros or game tokens.
Regards,
Derek

Thanks Krabat42, mudpuppy and johnbr. I did find the BMW Aero Engines book on the Schmidt website and have ordrered it for Christmas. Too bad it is not available from North American sources. I guess Amazon et al are reluctant to sell sometging that is over $100.00 US. The big book sellers would rather sell a million copies of Dan Browns' latest work of plagerism than a few hundred copies of a book like BMW Aero Engines.

Scott,

One of the authors is Fred Jakobs at BMW Mobile Tradition / Group Classic in Munich.

I think the the correct ISBN # : 978 3 86852 214 3

Rich Langtry
Home - BMW Marine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back