Book Requirements - Photographs Request (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

plane_canadian

Recruit
Jun 21, 2014
Hello, forum-goers.

I've recently been contracted to write a book on some of the relatively lesser-known aircraft of World War Two. The difficulty being I need to provide photos/illustrations and archives can be frankly ridiculous in their prices. I've just finished schooling (again!) so tuition has left me precariously drained. So, as I ever have in these things, I turn to you the community.

If you can help me find images I can use that are at least 1MB in size/quality, I will make sure that your name (or username if you'd prefer) is credited in the book. If you know someone who does aircraft illustrations, I'm also very willing to talk to them.

The list of aircraft for the book is as follows:

Aichi B7A
Avia B-534
Bachem "Natter"
Bell P-59 Aircomet C
Bloch MB152
Boeing P-26
Boulton-Paul Defiant
Breda Ba.88
Brewster Buffalo
Caudron C.714
Commonwealth Boomerang
Dewoitine D.520
Dornier Do.19
Fisher P-75 Eagle
Focke-Wulf Fw187 Falke
Fokker G.1
Fokker D.XXI
Gloster Gladiator
Grumman XF5F
Heinkel He 177
Heinkel He280
Henschel Hs123
Ikarus IK-2
Kawasaki Ki-100
Macchi C.205 Veltro
Messerschmitt Me 209
Messerschmitt Me 210/410
Nakajima Ki-84
Piaggo P.108
Polikarpov I-15 / I-153
Polikarpov Po-2
PZL P-37 "Los"
PZL P-11c
Savoia-Marchetti SM79
Vought OS2U Kingfisher
Westland Lysander
Westland Welkin

My sincerest thanks in advance for any help you can provide! Both I and my dwindling bank account will be ever grateful!

Like Dave said, national archives are the best repositories for images, but the cost is high and if you are not in a hurry, the time taken can be lengthy before the requests are published. The minimum resolution for a published image in the magazines I write for is 300 pixels per inch, which assits in sizing images and for many of the sources I go to, I can get digital imges smaller than 1 MB but are still meeting the requirement for publication. Find out what this is, specifically resolution of the image - this is probably the most important as the physical size of the image can be enlarged or reduced during the page layout process as long as the resolution is adequate.

How much text are you producing on each type, Plane Canadian? In that list I've written about a couple of the types and had the articles published, specifically the Boulton Paul Defiant and have images from my Defiant research, although all are smaller than the 1 MB size you are after. I have images of the sole survivor on display at the RAF Museum as well. I'll PM you.

American planes you can probably get them from the NMUSAF site you just have to credit them. You can also visit the US National Archives (NARA) and scan them for free, however as a foreign national I am not sure how that works. I will be going there in about a month for my own project if you can wait that long.

Tracker: the answer there is, really, 'any'. I leave it to your aesthetic sense. The more high-res the better, is really the only condition.

GrauGeist: I am well aware of these conditions. The Bundesarchiv was my next stop. The US archives are just as prohibitively expensive as the Canadian, thus far, but I'll keep trying.

Nuuumannn: They specifically handed me the size, rather than the pixels. I'll go through their guides again, but the emphasis was on the size thus far.

As for the text, I doubt there will be particularly much, to my chagrin. I'd prefer to write at vast lengths on most of these aircraft. The text total stands at 80,000 words at present. And as I mentioned in my PM back, thank you very much - that's a huge start for me. The aviation community has never let me down, not in all the years I've dealt with it.

vikingBerserker: I'll give that site a try, and the publication date isn't for a while yet, so I can definitely wait a little. Thank you for letting me know!

Thank you all, actually, before I forget!

You need one-o-them big Janes aicraft books. I had to toss mine out when I moved, no one wanted it, even for 10 bucks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back