Boston A28 series

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jemm

Airman
Jan 11, 2010
Not sure where to post stuff yet (I'm new).

I always found this interesting and pretty sad. My uncle was in A28-14 - Bill Hall.

The link below has details of each plane and what happened to it.

ADF Serials - RAAF A28 Douglas A-20A/C/G Boston

ADF Aircraft Serial Numbers
RAAF A28 Douglas A-20A/C/G Boston

Hi Peter,

Yeah I WAS attempting to write an article for the Aus War Memorial magazine. I managed to track down some of the old blokes from the 22 Squadron and a couple of them wrote to me with their memories. My uncle actually flew one mission with Newton who won a VC postumously. I have copies of logbooks etc and a few photos, but was hoping for more personal accounts. Sadly most of the old guys have since died. Maybe I should get off my lazy behind and finsih what I started......the death rate amongst those guys was so high, and they were so young: they deserve more recognition I reckon. At least they get it here!

Jemm

Yes, they do! The old vets are disappearing, so now is the time to put things on paper or organise some electrons in this digital age. I am aware of another researcher embarking on an article on 22 squadron Bostons, and would be happy to put you in touch if you PM me you email details.

Have tried the National Archives or the WW2 Roll?

http://www.ww2roll.gov.au/script/veteran.asp?ServiceID=R&VeteranID=1015545#summary1

There is also a great book by Gary Byk called "Frend Bilong Australia Tru" on RAAF Bostons. I hope you have been able to grab a copy.

(Just checked, but didn't see any photos or details of A28-14 that you wouldn't have already though)

Any photos and info you can post would be welcome!

Cheers

Peter

Last edited:
G'day Jemm, welcome to the site!
I would love to see any pics of your uncles service or any stories that you would like to share. I'm mad keen on RAAF history in the Pacific and unfortunately alot of our boys efforts and sacrifices are still relatively unknown.
Have you got the book "Wings of destiny" by Gordon Page? It's only a year or two old and it's the biography of W/C Charles Learmonth who I'm sure you know was at one stage the CO of 22sqn. He led the raid the day your uncles plane vanished into cloud over the Owen Stanleys.
here's a profile of A28-14 "Hooley F Dooley" which I believe Pete (Ozhawk40) posted.

Attachments

• 104376021_o.jpg
    104376021_o.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 323
Oh Yeh! Your right Andy. Forgot about that. I just had a flick through Gary Byks book, but didn't see it. But it was there. Hooley F. Dooley! :oops:

Hooley F. Dooley rings bells - I'm sure there was a photo around of that one.

Andy - it's great mate!

Lots of photos, colour profiles, and extracts form the manuals. Also has entries for all the aircraft and many colour pics of the restored A28-8. Great reference for modelling the A-20, good history of their use with 22.

Yep - I would recommend it.

Cheers

Peter

G'day mate,

good luck with your research a most worthwhile endevour!

BTW My knowledge of the RAAF is limited at best and Im keen to get into where are the best places for RAAF specific books or at least where do you guys get your stuff from?

I've looked at RedRoo;s site a bit also BAnner books, who else is around for RAAF stuff.

Cheers.

Wow....I never knew the plane had "hooley F dooley" for a nic...does anyone know what the "f" stood for? Shall I presume the usual?:p

In my giant pile of paperwork I have a list of all the pilots, who flew with them, and what happened to them. As I used to live in Canberra I spent a fair amount of time at the AWM in the research area. I spoke to a man whose name I forget - he was in Sydney - in about 2003 : he was writing a book about the 22 sqn so maybe "wings of destiny" is his ?

Google time - I have to get a copy.

Oh, and there is - or was - a military specific bookshop in Fyshwick in Canberra. I haven't been there since we left in 2005, can't remember the name, or if it still exists. Does anyone know?

Different suburb, but maybe they moved? I ahve a dreadful memory for names.........Could well be....

Ha! I see you are in Qld too. I am not the only nutter up at dawn gawking at old planes!

Absolutely. Or the Michael Jackson Tribute Show aka Today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back