Boy Hit By Meteorite Travelling At 30,000 MPH

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ToughOmbre

Senior Master Sergeant
Mar 18, 2007
Jersey Shore, USA
From SKYNEWS :shock:

10:22am UK, Friday June 12, 2009

A teenager was hit by a meteorite travelling at 30,000mph - and lived to tell the tale.

The meteorite struck Gerrit on the hand, and buried itself in the road

Gerrit Blank was on his way to school when he saw a massive fireball heading straight towards him from the sky.

The white-hot meteorite bounced off the schoolboy's hand and hit the ground so hard it left a foot-long crater in the tarmac - as well as a three-inch scar on his hand.

Gerrit, 14, said: "At first I just saw a large ball of light and then I suddenly felt a pain in my hand.

"Then, a split second after that, there was an enormous bang like a crash of thunder."

"The noise that came after the flash of light was so loud that my ears were ringing for hours afterwards.

"When it hit me it knocked me flying and then was still going fast enough to bury itself in the road."

Scientists are now studying the pea-sized meteorite, which crashed to Earth in Essen in Germany.

Chemical tests on the rock have now proved it is from outer space.

Ansgar Korte, director of Germany's Walter Hohmann Observatory, said: "It's a real meteorite, therefore it is very valuable to collectors and scientists."

Chances of being struck by a meteorite are around one in 100 million.

Mr Korte said: "Most meteorites don't actually make it to ground level because they evaporate in the atmosphere.

"Of those that do get through, about six out of every seven of them land in water."

There is only one other known case of a human being surviving a direct hit from a meteor.

A grapefruit-sized meteor crashed through the roof of a house in Alabama, in the USA, in 1954.

After smashing through the top of the building, it bounced off furniture and then hit a woman who was asleep at the time.

TO

Yeah it won't have hit his hand full on, it would of just glanced it. Besides looking at the size of it I doubt it would of taken off his hand anyway...

15302347.jpg

And I agree he should keep it.

Boy Hit On Arm By White-Hot Meteorite From Outer Space Travelling At 30,000mph | World News | Sky News

Still, it is certainly a story for the grand kids to be told...

I'd be willing to bet that it never physically touched his hand, but his injury was created by the trans-sonic envelope around the meteorite as it passed by him. I would have thought debris splashing back after impact, which may still be the case, but he said it hurt before it hit the ground.

Traveling 30,000 mph? It would have taken the hand off. A .22 calaber travels at what 2,200 mph?
The fastest .22 round goes about 4,000 fps....and that would be one of the hot centerfires...A rimfire(.22) goes about 1,200 fps.

When I say fps, I am saying feet-per-second.:)

Last edited:
I don't know if he is really lucky or really almost unlucky. Hard to say.

Yeah, I had to throw the BS flag out on that one, too.....30,000 mph, he wouldn't have time to register the pain before it was already on the ground, much less realize that he was hit by a meteor and note that it had just plowed a foot-deep hole in the ground. And that much kinetic energy would've ripped his hand off (if not the arm, too).

As has been said, for that to be true it'd have to be 30,000 MPH in space not when it was near him, let alone hit him. The size of the rock is irrelevant, when it's travelling at 30,000 MPH it will have an unimaginable amount of kinetic energy - the momentum in that would be like being hit by ...well, something massive. I would expect, even a glancing blow, to rip his hand off at the very least. Just think that piece of rock would have been travelling at approx. Mach 40... that velocity is uncomprehensible. I wouldn't be surprised if it'd his legs off just by passing.

Right.. Just the pressure created by the supersonic speeds would have demolished him. One of the security guards down at Nellis AFB told me that a .50 cal round doesn't have to hit you to kill you, the air displacement alone would tear things off you're body and a .50 cal round doesn't travel at 30,000 mph. Even a pea sized object would destroy body parts just by the pressure of that speed.

How many recorded instances are there of people getting hit by meteorites?

Just to back it up with math, assuming it was going apporximately 30,000 mph the kinetic energy would be in the magnitude of 9,400 joules roughly so about double that of a .500 S&W Special Magnum round. Thats alot of kinetic energy. Not as much as say a .50 cal round, but still alot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back