Breda 88

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

maxs75

Airman 1st Class
May 2, 2005
I read that Breda 88 Lince was sent to North Africa, but it was not used operationally because of lengthy take offs, very slow climb and other failures.
I read also that it was the hot and less dense air that caused poor performances. Was that issue due to engines or aerodynamics? I know that in general hot air leads to poorer performances, but what was wrong with that plane, that sometimes wasn't able to take off?

Max

A culmination of problems led to the demise of the Breda 88. My understanding is that the installation of sand-filters was the final straw that 'broke the Breda's back', as far as performance goes.

Amazingly, they resurrected the design later in the war to create a dive bomber version, the Breda 88M. It was slightly larger dimension wise, and heavier, at 15,260 lb but with less powerful engines. Maximum speed was only 239 mph. Only three were built and not surprisingly further development was abandoned.

From Bill Gunston's book-"Back to the Drawing Board."

Was it so bad decrease of performance respect to other planes with sand filters?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back