Bristol Engines.......... used on the Beaufighter (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

mikec1

Banned
Jul 9, 2013
Georgia, USA
Greetings Guys Gals;

This is a small collection of photograph of the Bristol engines
that where used on the Beaufighter.

This is one or my favorite WW-II twin engine aircraft.

Hopefully these photos will be handy to the aircraft builders.

Enjoy,
b-201010.jpg

A special Thanks ...... .... to AJ Press ..........
salute10.gif

Mike

Attachments

• Bristol Engines_01.pdf
    5 MB · Views: 1,277
Last edited:
Greetings nuuumannn ;

.... That is a nice set of pics that you referenced .......... :lol:

But, My reference tells me that the Hercules engine was not the
only engine that was used on the Beaufighter.

..... You may not be familiar, or knowledgeable of the other engines,
but the photos where borrowed from a book on the Beaufighter.

Have a good one,

Mike

The only other type of engine installed in the Beaufighter was the Merlin. Oh, and one single example of a Wright Cyclone engined Beaufighter developed in Australia.

The only other engine installed on the Beaufighter was the Merlin. Oh, and one single example of a Wright Cyclone engined Beau in Australia.

Care to share details about that, baders? I am aware of British one-off conversion when the Double Cyclone (14 cyl R-2600) was tested.

My favorite in the FMA family is the I.Ae.30. Nancu.

2elxook.jpg

To me it looks like an all-metal Mosquio / Hornet-like beast. Firmly embedded in WWII technology even though it first flew in 1948. Used a pair of Merlin 604s. 460 mph.

Unfortunately, the entire population was one aircraft.

My favorite in the FMA family is the I.Ae.30. Nancu.

2elxook.jpg

To me it looks like an all-metal Mosquio / Hornet-like beast. Firmly embedded in WWII technology even though it first flew in 1948. Used a pair of Merlin 604s. 460 mph.

Unfortunately, the entire population was one aircraft.
780 KPH=484MPH! It was faster than the Hornet on 460 less HP!
I wonder how they did that?

Where did you get 780kph?

The aircraft was lighter than the Hornet, that has to be something to do with its performance.
He got it from wiki:

"During a cross country flight, from Córdoba to Buenos Aires, the Ñancú reached a level speed of 780 km/h, setting a new piston engined speed record in South America"

Trouble is this gets back to was it helped or not by tailwinds ?????
Speeds on cross country flights being good for press releases at times but not really good indicators of real flight performance, 400mph Hurricane anyone :)

He got it from wiki:

"During a cross country flight, from Córdoba to Buenos Aires, the Ñancú reached a level speed of 780 km/h, setting a new piston engined speed record in South America"

Trouble is this gets back to was it helped or not by tailwinds ?????
Speeds on cross country flights being good for press releases at times but not really good indicators of real flight performance, 400mph Hurricane anyone :)

Is that like the 500mph CA-15? As in the CA-15 went 500mph after a shallow dive.

Some Bristol Hercules pictures.

Attachments

• beauengine-resized.jpg
    beauengine-resized.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 463
  • Bristol Hercules (2).jpg
    Bristol Hercules (2).jpg
    64 KB · Views: 444
  • Bristol Hercules.jpg
    Bristol Hercules.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 1,570
  • Hercules II.jpg
    Hercules II.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 490
  • Hercules III.jpg
    Hercules III.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 412
  • Beaufighter-Mk-XXI-RAF-museum-2008-0936.jpg
    Beaufighter-Mk-XXI-RAF-museum-2008-0936.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 575
OK, so it's time to ask something that's been bugging me on the Hercules. Airflow to the supercharger comes from the intake on the top of the cowl. I get that, but there also seems to be air ducted from the engine, down through the back of the wheel wells then collecting to an outlet on the rear bottom of the nacelle. Where's this air coming from? Is there a by-pass around the supercharger or is there some kind of waste gate? AFAIK, there's no such airflow downstream of the supercharger on a Merlin. Intake is regulated by a flap and all air goes to the engine.

OK, so it's time to ask something that's been bugging me on the Hercules. Airflow to the supercharger comes from the intake on the top of the cowl. I get that, but there also seems to be air ducted from the engine, down through the back of the wheel wells then collecting to an outlet on the rear bottom of the nacelle. Where's this air coming from? Is there a by-pass around the supercharger or is there some kind of waste gate? AFAIK, there's no such airflow downstream of the supercharger on a Merlin. Intake is regulated by a flap and all air goes to the engine.

This is the fuel dump line, not an air duct.

Chris

Ah, I think you're right Chris, thanks!. One of the walkarounds I had bookmarked says as much, now that I look closer and I've verified this now looking at the manual for a Mk 21.

Capture.JPG

I guess what threw me was that the piping looks more like ducting in the below pic. Not what I would have expected for a fuel dump system.

beaufighter_mk.xxi_59_of_93.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back