British 3000lb "Journey's End" Bomb

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Niceoldguy58

Airman
Mar 2, 2010
While doing research for another project I came upon an AAF reference from 1945 regarding the British 3000lb "Journey's End" bomb.

Does anyone have any good information on this bomb and/or a link to a good source for information?

Many thanks in advance.

AlanG

While doing research for another project I came upon an AAF reference from 1945 regarding the British 3000lb "Journey's End" bomb.

Does anyone have any good information on this bomb and/or a link to a good source for information?

Many thanks in advance.

AlanG
Hi
There is no mention of a 3000lb or "Journey's End" bomb in the official Bomber Command "Despatch on War Operations" by Harris or in 'Bombs Gone, The development and use of British air-dropped weapons from 1912 to the present day" by MacBean and Hogben. The closest in weight is the 2,700lb Pink Pansy target indicator (it used a 4,000lb HC bomb-case). Sorry not much help.

Mike

Mike
Thanks for your response.

Almost immediately after I posted my question I called some of my research friends in the UK and got quite a bit of information on what was called the Cherwell Jeffris bomb prior to its being assigned the code name "Journey's End". Most interesting to say the least. As a result I have some additional leads to pursue that should prove most interesting.

If you look up Millis Jefferis on Google you should find some good info, including a Wikipedia page on Jefferis that has some tasty bits.

I appreciate your response and taking the time to try and find more info!

Yours in research, with thanks,

AlanG

Mike
Thanks for your response.

Almost immediately after I posted my question I called some of my research friends in the UK and got quite a bit of information on what was called the Cherwell Jeffris bomb prior to its being assigned the code name "Journey's End". Most interesting to say the least. As a result I have some additional leads to pursue that should prove most interesting.

If you look up Millis Jefferis on Google you should find some good info, including a Wikipedia page on Jefferis that has some tasty bits.

I appreciate your response and taking the time to try and find more info!

Yours in research, with thanks,

AlanG
Hi
The 'Blue Boar' I have heard of and there is information on it in 'British Secret Projects, Hypersonics, Ramjets & Missiles' by Chris Gibson & Tony Butler (including mention of 'Journey's End'. You have probably got this information now, but for others here is part of the info:
WW2RAFsqnest235.jpg

WW2RAFsqnest236.jpg

I have some other publications on Vickers missiles, if I can remember where I put them.

Mike

Hi
For those interested there is a chapter (Chapter 3) on the 'Blue Boar Guided Gliding Bomb' in John Forbat's 'The 'Secret' World of Vickers Guided Weapons', Tempus, 2006.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back