British jets of the Cold War.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks. Aparently the high number of accidents in the Scimitar were caused by the relative small size of british carrier and the heavy weight of the aircraft, but not intrinsecally a bad characteritics of the supermarine fighter.

Supermarine Swift F1.

Attachments

• swift.wmv
    1.7 MB · Views: 109
Thanks. Aparently the high number of accidents in the Scimitar were caused by the relative small size of british carrier and the heavy weight of the aircraft, but not intrinsecally a bad characteritics of the supermarine fighter.

Supermarine Swift F1.

There were other factors. She was a complex aircraft with a number of new features around the fuel as well as being big and heavy. I think she was the first aircraft where landing was described as a deliberate crash landing.
Other factors include the fact that she leaked like a sieve and was very maintanence heavy. Its also worth remembering that the Scimitar replaced the Sea Hawk a very small light and simple aircraft, the difference between the two was huge.

White painted Blackburn Buccaneers and Sea Vixen, carrier operations. 1963

Attachments

• buca_toAVI.avi
    2 MB · Views: 107
Yipes,looks like the pilot did not get out of that Jet, The report said something along the likes of "to late,pilot did not get out"

The user stevel666 posted the following comment in my channel about the scimitar accident video:

Des Russell was the pilot who was unfortunately killed in this incident. Landing was good but the arrester cable broke. Des was unable to open the canopy and he and the aircraft sank to the seabed.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aco5LkjkS7Q

Obviously when I posted that vid some months ago I tought the pilot walked away, that explain my silly comment above, but the fact is the british pilot drowned.

Okay, let move on.

Gloster Meteor NF testing Fairey Fireflash air-to-air missile, 1955.

Attachments

• Fireflash_PC.avi
    16.2 MB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Yea, maybe he should try the ejector seat.

That would have been suicide. The Mk 2H seat had a minimum height of 100 or 200ft depending on the spec of the gun and a min speed of 120 knots. My guess is that this was the seat version installed as it was a very common seat, both in the UK and overseas.

If we had to ditch we were instructed to jetison the canopy first and get out manually. That said the pilots notes described ditching as very hazardous so who knows what would happen for real.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back