British pilot hits cow during emergency landing (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

v2

Captain
Nov 9, 2005
Cracow
LONDON - A British pilot said he ran into an unusual hazard while making an emergency landing - a cow. Rob Wotton said he was trying to land his World War II-era Tiger Moth after the engine stalled just after takeoff southwest of London on Sept. 14. He was about to touch down in a field when the animal wandered into his way.

Video of the event on YouTube shows the brown-and-white cow being knocked to the ground by the plane's lower left wing. The two-seater was damaged but landed safely.

An accident report said the cow was "apparently uninjured."

Wotton said he might paint a cow on the plane to mark the event.

He says: "I have to say it is the first cow I have ever hit in 22 years' flying."

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGYCnowBC2g

I know I am going to get some comments on this but in my log book there is an entry saying 'Chased Sheep'.

When landing back at Long Mynd where the landing area is basically a grass field on the top of a hill. As I landed I came over the crown of the hill to find three sheep in front of me. There was nothing I could do apart from keep going. The sheep took of in the opposite direction but I was faster than them and was gaining but slowing. Fortunately I slowed down just before I caught up with them but it was a wild moment, me shouting at them as if that made any difference and the people on the launch site obviously finding it hysterically funny.

Plenty of Lamb Chop and Legless Lamb jokes, among others,

Am I the only one who feels sorry for the poor cow? Imagine it, you're standing in a field, minding your own business when all of a sudden, BAM!!!

It does look funny though! :lol:

The cow may have been 'uninjured' but I bet it had one hell of a headache!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back