British WW2 hierarchy abbreviations

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

wuzak

Captain
Jun 5, 2011
Hobart Tasmania
Not sure of how to describe it.

An example is Sir Wilfrid Freeman, who was VCAS for a couple of years - Vice-Chief of the Air Staff.

Since I have been getting files from the archives I have been running into a few which I don't know the meaning for.

The latest one is DGNDP. Anybody know what that means?

One will be a Director General of something (like DGAP-Director General of Aircraft Production) and the other a Deputy Director of something, there were a lot of DD***s.
DS*** would be Deputy Secretary of some department and there were a lot of them too!
While we are at it AD*** would be an Assistant Director, AM** and Air Member, DUS** Deputy Under Secretary, PS Private Secretary, PAS Principal Assistant Secretary, PUS Permanent Under Secretary and many more I can't think of at the moment. These are mostly Civil Service rather than military positions.

I've not seen either of those you listed before but I bet they were both something to do with production. If I do come across them I'll let you know :)

Cheers

Steve

Yes, it seems that the British had quite the bureaucracy!

I wondered if the first had something to do with the Navy, only because it has an N in it.

I wondered if the first had something to do with the Navy, only because it has an N in it.

I'd say that was possible, even likely. Sometimes you can more or less work it out from the context in which it appears.

Cheers

Steve

I would suggest the last 'E' refers either to equipment or engines, based on other acronyms which I know (CFE - Contractor Furnished Equipment, DGCE - Director General of Communications Equipment, POAE - Principal Officer for Aircraft Equipment, DGEMP Director General of Engines and Materials Production).

There was a DDRDA - Deputy Director of Research and Development Aircraft. DDRDE might be Deputy Director of Research and Development Engines.

Cheers

Steve

I would suggest the last 'E' refers either to equipment or engines, based on other acronyms which I know (CFE - Contractor Furnished Equipment, DGCE - Director General of Communications Equipment, POAE - Principal Officer for Aircraft Equipment, DGEMP Director General of Engines and Materials Production).

There was a DDRDA - Deputy Director of Research and Development Aircraft. DDRDE might be Deputy Director of Research and Development Engines.

Cheers

Steve

That makes sense, as it was in reference to the Fairey P.24 engine.

Thanks Steve.

I've got the list of RAF personnel from just before the Battle of Britain, from the King on down. Might be able to help you. 644 pages including advertisements. PM me your email if you would like it

in Michael Corda's book With Wings Life Eagles is good for the British Alphabet soup, everytime he introduces a new person, he lists their titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back