British WWII Bombs (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Arnold

Recruit
Feb 25, 2009
Tucson, Arizona
Hello All

My name is Arnold and I am a new person here.

I have a question concerning WWII British Aircraft Bombs.

I have seen one picture of British Bombs but it was not real good.

Did the British Bombs have one or two suspension lugs?

From the picture that I seen it appears that some were single suspension and some were double, but as I said, the picture was not real good.

Any help is appricated

Arnold and his two Greyhounds

Hello Arnold

I'm new here too (my first post!).

British designed bombs more or less from World War 1 up until the 1970s had a single suspension lug - so British designed aircraft of the same period had single-point release equipment to hold them. During WW2 we got a large number of aircraft from the US under the Lease Lend scheme. These aircraft had the US standard twin suspension lugs, so to give maximum flexibility in use, the bombs were modified with the addition of a pair of 'US' twin lugs positioned at 180 deg on the case from the single 'British' lug. Since the 1970s British bombs have the NATO standard twin lugs.

I hope this answers your question.

Regards

eodda
UK

I've a question about the 30lb bomb used by the RAAF. Is it a British bomb? What can anyone tell me about it?
The only photo I have of an aircraft fitted with them looks a lot like the British 120lb GP bomb. Did the 30lb have a disproportionately large external casing? What type of bomb was it?

I've a question about the 30lb bomb used by the RAAF. Is it a British bomb? What can anyone tell me about it?
The only photo I have of an aircraft fitted with them looks a lot like the British 120lb GP bomb. Did the 30lb have a disproportionately large external casing? What type of bomb was it?

Possibly (British?) the 30lb incendiary bomb?

Fuse detail...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back