Britons tire of cruel, vulgar US: poll (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

SpitfireKing

Airman 1st Class
Jul 2, 2006
Nora Springs, Iowa
Check this thing that I found on Yahoo news.

"People in Britain view the United States as a vulgar, crime-ridden society obsessed with money and led by an incompetent president whose Iraq policy is failing, according to a newspaper poll.

ADVERTISEMENT

The United States is no longer a symbol of hope to Britain and the British no longer have confidence in their transatlantic cousins to lead global affairs, according to the poll published in The Daily Telegraph.

The YouGov poll found that 77 percent of respondents disagreed with the statement that the US is "a beacon of hope for the world".

As Americans prepared to celebrate the 230th anniversary of their independence on Tuesday, the poll found that only 12 percent of Britons trust them to act wisely on the global stage. This is half the number who had faith in the Vietnam-scarred White House of 1975."

Personnaly I agree.

Continued: "A massive 83 percent of those questioned said that the United States doesn't care what the rest of the world thinks.

With much of the worst criticism aimed at the US adminstration, the poll showed that 70 percent of Britons like Americans a lot or a little.

US President George W. Bush fared significantly worse, with just one percent rating him a "great leader" against 77 percent who deemed him a "pretty poor" or "terrible" leader.

More than two-thirds who offered an opinion said America is essentially an imperial power seeking world domination. And 81 per cent of those who took a view said President George W Bush hypocritically championed democracy as a cover for the pursuit of American self-interests.

US policy in Iraq was similarly derided, with only 24 percent saying they felt that the US military action there was helping to bring democracy to the country.

A spokesman for the American embassy said that the poll's findings were contradicted by its own surveys.

"We question the judgment of anyone who asserts the world would be a better place with Saddam still terrorizing his own nation and threatening people well beyond Iraq's borders," the paper quoted the unnamed spokesman as saying.

"With respect to the poll's assertions about American society, we bear some of the blame for not successfully communicating America's extraordinary dynamism.

"But frankly, so do you (the British press)."

In answer to other questions, a majority of the Britons questions described Americans as uncaring, divided by class, awash in violent crime, vulgar, preoccupied with money, ignorant of the outside world, racially divided, uncultured and in the most overwhelming result (90 percent of respondents) dominated by big business."

On my visits to the U.S. I have found the people be nice enough. I agree with MM the current government is the real problem.

I have no problem with America or Americans. But mostly you Americans are vulgar loud assholes ... but you've earnt the right to be that! And most of the decent Americans, are just that ... decent. There's bad people in every country, but most Americans are honest, up-standing, hard working people like the few true British people left in the world.

Yes, they do interfere every where. They do have to get involved. They do blow things up. America is a prick, and god damn it's exactly what this world needs right now 'cos all the rest of the countries are pussies or assholes.

Hell, to some extent, I love America. And I've never even been there!

plan_D said:
Yes, they do interfere every where. They do have to get involved. They do blow things up. America is a prick, and god damn it's exactly what this world needs right now 'cos all the rest of the countries are pussies or assholes.
D - you need to be the head of the UN - the world WILL be a better place!!!

My U.N Peacekeepers would not wear blue helmets anymore, but maybe the B-52s that are flattening the trouble spot would have blue noses paint on them.

I think what many fail to realize here that if Kerry was president, we probably wouldn't of seen much of a difference with regards to Iraq - when Bush speaks he sounds like an idiot, good ole Texas "good ole boy" and even when he does well, he'll always have that stigma - he's a white southern richman, the type the media loves to hate. But then again if Bush wasn't Pres, who's the alternatives?!?! Hilliary? Gore? Kerry? How about Al Sharpton?!?!?

As far as loud obnoxious Americans - yes there are many, we admit it, it's the same bunch that go on the 65% overweight statistic discussed on the other threads...

America is loud and obnoxious because it's the Super Power. When Britain ruled the world, we were pretty loud and obnoxious too. We wore Red Coats in the British Army to inform the enemy we were there. Normally, you want to surprise the enemy but not in Britain. We were so powerful we didn't care if the enemy knew ! At least American military wears camo.

plan_D said:
America is loud and obnoxious because it's the Super Power. When Britain ruled the world, we were pretty loud and obnoxious too. We wore Red Coats in the British Army to inform the enemy we were there. Normally, you want to surprise the enemy but not in Britain. We were so powerful we didn't care if the enemy knew ! At least American military wears camo.
hehehehehehe :evil4:

Too many people in Europe refuse to accept that the US has turned considerably more conservative than "old Europe".

And its even worse for the so called "intelligensia" there that Bush was reelected.

Too many people have turned their blind and completley irrational hatred for Bush into hatred into a country that they should be thanking their collective ***'s for.

I bet if Bush did everything that Europeans wanted him to do, they would still hate him because hes a texan and a redneck to boot.

So many people in Europe disgust me that we should pull out of NATO and let them protect themsleves.

You do realise that you just accused Europe as stereotyping America because of it's leader, then stereotyped Europeans don't you? If you don't like Europe and Europeans so much, don't come here. We won't miss you.

hmmmmm Bush sucks huh ? wonder what Carey would be doing now, going to Gitmo to get the terroists released I suppose. I shouldn't be going there as I have made comment about this traitor in the past. and no-one say he was a war hero .......... please cause if you do ...............

dang you guys are so bloody young if you would of been around during ww2 or better yet Vietnam and live what we went through ............ blah, blah, blah, I'm tired of hearing how our present admin and his galley is full of crock, all I can say is the guy has balls compared to many living and breathing in their comfy little homes in Congress and the Senate. Send em overseas ASAP !

W. Bush is the lesser of many evils that arrive in U.S politics. Ideally, you'd have W. Bush with brains but that's not possible. The amount of mistakes made by the current admin that have cost the lives of Americans, and other nationalities is pathetic. I am all for the U.K supporting the U.S but next time we attack a country together, I hope that the U.S has actually thought it through to save not only American lives, but British ones too.

And before anyone (syscom is the most likely culprit) says "Britain should look after it's own troops." Well, maybe next time we'll leave them at home and have the U.S do everything on their own.

Britain and the US are the two greatest allies in history, and the people that matter in Britain know this. Did the poll ask every single man, woman and child in Great Britain? No. And are we aware that Britain is increasingly filling with anti-American muslims ... are these people British? I think not. Instead of judging the views of Britain on one newspaper poll ... come to Britain and see how the British react around you. You'll find that most British people idolise Americans ... they do it so much it actually puts me on the brink of vomiting.

plan_D said:
W. Bush is the lesser of many evils that arrive in U.S politics. Ideally, you'd have W. Bush with brains but that's not possible.

Bush is a lousy public speaker but quite smart in more private and relaxed settings. he does have an MBA from a top notch school (and liberal one to boot, the irony of it).

The amount of mistakes made by the current admin that have cost the lives of Americans, and other nationalities is pathetic.

some mistakes, some success's. At least he's doing something. In the war on terror, weakness and indicision is dangerous. Of course a good many "liberals and leftists" seem tog et sexual gratification about seeing dictators mass murder and control people. For those old enough to remember the 70's and 80's, there were quite a few people who said we should use our military power to remove dictators and tyrants. Now we are and theyre changing their tune.

And before anyone (syscom is the most likely culprit) says "Britain should look after it's own troops." Well, maybe next time we'll leave them at home and have the U.S do everything on their own.

Im a firm believer that the US looks after its own first. Anyone else wants to join in fine. If not, dont come running to us for help.

... come to Britain and see how the British react around you. You'll find that most British people idolise Americans ... they do it so much it actually puts me on the brink of vomiting.

Actually I was there in March. I was dumbfounded on how so many people were brain washed by their govt media to hate Bush. Yet noone could say really why. It reminded me of the right wing idiots who hated Clinton in the 90's. Really weird. Group think taken to an extreme.

SpitfireKing said:
In answer to other questions, a majority of the Britons questions described Americans as uncaring, divided by class, awash in violent crime, vulgar, preoccupied with money, ignorant of the outside world, racially divided, uncultured and in the most overwhelming result (90 percent of respondents) dominated by big business."

That is not just what England thinks, that is what the majority of the world thinks.

Dont take me wrong though. I am a German with US citizenship and serve in the US Army and I dont agree with all of that, but many US citizens bring this upon themselves by the way they act in other countries. I see so many US Soldiers over here that give the US a bad name by the way they act and present themselves.

From what I tell, by speaking with Germans here on a daily basis is this. They have nothing against Americans or the American People but they do not like Bush. Believe it or not also, they are very friendly to Americans over here (with the exception of the turds that act like assholes) but they will tell you that they do not like Bush.

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
That is not just what England thinks, that is what the majority of the world thinks.
Too true I'm afraid. Yet it's been my experience that an awful lot of those doing the bitching and moaning are exactly the same way. Like syscom says, it's a form of "group think". People are sheep, and too often don't really have a clue about what they're complaining for.

syscom3 said:
I was dumbfounded on how so many people were brain washed by their govt media to hate Bush. Yet noone could say really why. It reminded me of the right wing idiots who hated Clinton in the 90's. Really weird. Group think taken to an extreme.
Sure sounds a lot like this place, except you can basically replace Bush with the US in general in that statement. The thing is, Canadians and Americans are practically the same people. The differences are superficial at best. More often than not it's merely a case of different terminology. Provinces vice states, we're metric and they're not, and that sort of thing. I think in our case the bad mouthing stems more from a desperate need to differentiate ourselves from our American bros, and we often take it a bit far in my opinion. It seems that we'll often do the opposite simply for the sake thereof, whether it makes any sense to do so or not. At least that's been my observation over the years. I dunno. It's a form of deep rooted insecurity that's infected people on a national scale. I think it's utterly foolish.

I take as I find what nationality they are has no bearing on it at all a prat is a prat the US is at the moment the dominant power and as such as with all past powers they will tend to do things that favour their own well being either economicly or militairly it would barmy to shoot yourself in the foot when you can shoot someone elses.
On the whole I think the US has been very restrained in most of world affairs
perhaps having huge buisiness interests all around the globe means treading a tad more carefully than past powers did " Sir the indians are revolting! ". "You're telling me, blow the crap out of them at once and nick all their tea".
I am not a Bush lover (at least not that sort of bush) I keep getting the "look at me daddy" feeling, although our own John Prescott is not exactly an interlectual giant.

One thing I've observed about the European intelligencia is they believe that a successfull politician must be well educated from one of a few large internationally respected universities, and have a long resume of qualifications.

They hated Reagan because he was not college educated (even though a govenor of the largest state in the union and a labor union leader)

They thought Bush 1 as being tolerable as he did have the "credentials".

They loved Clinton as he was an Oxford graduate (and really nothing else) and he understood that US interests must be subordinated to what the UN wanted.

Now they dispise Bush 2 because he has no credentials, other than an MBA from Harvard.

Generally, these Eusropeans dont understand that in America, anyone can be president. And that gives them fits, jealous rages and irrational self-defeating comments and actions. They deep down, secretly dont like democracy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back