Brits loved the P-39!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Best take Pathe Newsreel clips with a pinch of salt
Talking up the war effort was their secondary role, imagine a WWII release that went something along the lines of "Oh my God! Look what those damn Yankees have sold us! No altitude performance and the range of a frisbee! We're all gonna die!"

I mean, talking up the side-door entry method so that 'the pilot doesn't have to climb in' like it's some kind of advantage :)

Best take Pathe Newsreel clips with a pinch of salt
Talking up the war effort was their secondary role, imagine a WWII release that went something along the lines of "Oh my God! Look what those damn Yankees have sold us! No altitude performance and the range of a frisbee! We're all gonna die!"

LMAO :lol: That was funny! :lol:

I got a question about the range. A P-39 carried 120 gal. of fuel internally. How much did a Spitfire carry? IIRC the ones from the BoB had only 80 to 90 gallons.

I got a question about the range. A P-39 carried 120 gal. of fuel internally. How much did a Spitfire carry? IIRC the ones from the BoB had only 80 to 90 gallons.
Yes, but that's an American bird using American measures:

Airacobra - 120 US gallons
Spitfire Ia - 102 US gallons

Airacobra - 114 Imp gallons
Spitfire Ia - 85 Imp gallons

Pilots Notes for both aircraft reveal:

Spitfire Ia - Cruising Weak - 18,000ft - 56 gals/hr
Airacobra - Auto lean - 11,000ft - 68.2 gals/hr

Hmm
didn't do the maths on the Airacobra, just took Markus' figure and worked out the imperial measure.

If I take the imperial figure from the pilots notes however, the Airacobra had room for 137 US gallons.

But if I take Markus' figure (120 US gallons) and work out the imperial measure, it's just barely 100 Imp gallons.

Conundrum

What I like about the Pathe film is that when the Airacobra was shown to the press and the film taken, the aircraft had already been taken out of service.

The script writer these days would probably be a top political spin doctor

They was free. Just like P-40s, Sherman tanks, M3 light tanks, M7 SP artillery etc.

If Britain and the Soviet Union had to pay for this stuff they might prefer their own equipment designs instead. 8)

Cheeky Bugger

As for designs the Spit for the P40, Cromwell for Sherman, Armoured cars for M3 and Sexton for M7. I admit that we may not have had enough, but as designs these are a fair match.

Plus of course, we did pay for the kit

They was free. Just like P-40s, Sherman tanks, M3 light tanks, M7 SP artillery etc.

If Britain and the Soviet Union had to pay for this stuff they might prefer their own equipment designs instead. 8)

I think there might be a few of their own designs that teh Soviets didn't mind using too much. T34 and IS2 tanks, 152mm/1937 gun/howitzer (Germans even used captured ones on Atlantic wall),1942/76.2 gun, Katyusha rocket launcher, PPSh 41 sub machine gun, IL2 attack plane, Tu2 light/medium bomber to name a few.

On the British side, Spitfires seemed to be well liked, Bren gun, Daimler scout cars, Canadian built Chevy trucks (British design specs), Cromwell tanks, SMLE rifle, QF 25-pdr gun, QF 17-pdr anti-tank gun, Mk II 3 inch mortar, PIAT anti-tank weapon, Mosquito, Lancaster, Typhoon, Tempest, Lysander and a bunch of naval stuff that I'm not really well versed on.

To be fair though, the Jeep was one US design that was well liked, Thompson sub-machine gun, Mustangs of any Mark, B17, Canso (PBY) and others. I don't believe any one nation had across the board supremacy in weapons design for WWII.

Economically, all the European nations came out of the war in poor shape, UK included. North America enjoyed a post war period of relative prosperity.
That wiser and more gracious heads decided to forgive much of the lend/lease debt is commendable IMO,(the cause was just after all).

timshatz - I guess that's true too for the Beaufighters and Spits that the UK supplied the USAAF and the Mossies that Canada provided the USAAF and the airbase leases in Bermuda, Newfoundland and elsewhere. You got a hate on for the UK today :) Please quote a source for your $.03 on the $ reference.

MM

They was free. Just like P-40s, Sherman tanks, M3 light tanks, M7 SP artillery...
...unsinkable aircraft carrier?

When you needed it, it was free - in both senses of the word. The other sense of the word was already paid for with the blood of RAF pilots; not many of whom were flying P-40s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back