Bucker Bü181 kit help (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

s1chris

Staff Sergeant
Dec 10, 2011
England
Hello, can anybody point me the right direction as I am trying to find a 1/48 Bucker Bü181 kit for sale and am finding it impossible?

Cheers Chris

Can't remember if this is the bi-plane 'Bestman', or the low-wing, cabin monoplane. Either way, there were certainly 1/72nd scale kits around of both once, and I also saw a 1/48th scale kit of the latter not too long ago. Problem is Chris, I can't remember the manufacturer(s), but I'm fairly certain it was Czech !
Not Eduard, and not one of the major players. Have a look at Hannant's, Model Hobbies and King Kit - enter the Bucker name and nothing else, and it should bring up anything they have.

AZModel offers the 1/72 scale kits for the plane.

1897_rd.jpg

57b9db411c162494c6009065b65fa15f.jpg

13dadc574610ee2d3b571c4c2cfa7a98.jpg

75e7e962cb9c51c59892005a73f00909.jpg

azcz40.jpg

azcz41.jpg)

also .. the model of MPM.

146094-11185.jpg?nr=7205&company=mpm&name=zlin%20c.jpg

Thanks for the reply guy's.

Terry- yes it's the mono wing trainer. As used in the filming of the great escape.

Wurger- that's the baby. MPM used to produce a kit in 1/48 so I suppose I'm looking for somebody with one they don't want anymore. Sounds a bit obsessive but to keep in with my collection/display methodology it needs to be 1/48.

Cheers Chris

Great stuff Wojtek!
That's the ones I was thinking of - even though I got confused with the types! The bi-plane I was thinking of is the 'Jungman'. And now that I know of a 1/48th Bestman, I might just be tempted myself.

Thanks Wojtek you have saved the day. The seller is in the US but has said they will post to the Uk. Just awaiting estimated shipping cost's.

Cheers Chris

Yep, he'll have to compensate by stuffing the pockets on the starboard side with bottles of 'C' Stoff !!
And those huge Russian Field Marshall caps must have plenty of room inside for a bottle or two of 'T Stoff' !!

Hello, so I have finally recieved my 1/48 kit but due to the kit being so old the vac formed canopy has turned a nice shade of yellow. Any chance of restoring to its former glory? When I have recovered from this afternoons BBQ and wine session I will post a picture.

Cheers Chris

I'm afraid there is no way to make the conopy clear again. You may try to find an aftermarket one but not sure if it is offered by any. Of course you can make it from scratch.

Thanks Wurger. Any tips on how to make one? Bit gutted really and the only solution I had thought was to cut out the individual panes and replace them with acetate. Not easy i guess .

Cheers Chris

Not a bad idea Chris, just very tedious time consuming work. I would suggest rather asking if anyone has a spare on the 'I'll trade U 4 that' thread, or vac forming a new one. I haven't done that myself (Yet) but there are 'how to' you-tube videos around showing how. I will be following these when I do the ones I need to do:

Google

Last edited:
Thanks Wurger. Any tips on how to make one? Bit gutted really and the only solution I had thought was to cut out the individual panes and replace them with acetate. Not easy i guess .

Cheers Chris

The main problem with the way of making the conopy by cutting these individual panels , is that you would have to put them together with a glue that could cause all joints seen. Also gluing of a such pieces requires some of experience and patience.
The way I suggested above is to mould the conopy with an epoxy using the kit conopy as a model and some of plasticine ( it may be the Bluetack ). The kit conopy has to be inprinted in the block of the plasticine and then the mould has to be filled with the epoxy. When the epoxy is hardened you should remove all the cockpit frames from the epoxy stencil by sanding. Also it is nice to put into the mould a wooden stick for handling of the model before filling the mould with the epoxy. Here a couple of pictures I found via the net that can help you grasp the way. For the new clear part I would suggest using thin clear foil from wrappings or other using in offices etc... but this one can get yellowish after a couple of years. The best clear material for that seems to be a clear part of CD/DVD boxes etc...

36aa25a89bfc6f80.jpg

1e772146a0a045ee.jpg

0dcb5e80543d2bee.jpg

b306e4d836779d6c.jpg

abd720827a3486bf.jpg

710a02649e356708.jpg

db3580e8e8164368.jpg

4a1062eb1b52e45a.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSk_9t9tjEHD1jt9ogbE3GrN9IarxIXYuztOGTlSE3rlnRkDEpP.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back