Bud Anderson turned 90 today

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Alte Hase

Airman 1st Class
Sep 25, 2011
Hi All,

I just thought I'd mention that Clarence E. "Bud" Anderson, the USAAF Mustang legend and triple ace, turned 90 today. I just spoke with his son Jim via email and he said is father was planning to celebrate this memorable day by taking up a restored P-51, as Col. Anderson is still a very active pilot at 90!

I just wanted to take the opportunity to bring his birthday to everyone's attention and to personally offer my birthday wishes.

Heck!
Colonel Anderson, please accept my best wishes (via our contact and your son) for your 90th Birthday, and for your achievements, both in Military and civilian life. You have been, and continue to be, an inspiration to my (just post war) generation, and successive generations.
Those 'younger' generations, I hope and pray, will also learn from the privations you, and your fellows from whatever Air Force or Army, had to endure for our on-going freedom. This is something I only today confirmed with my (youngest) daughter, at University in London, who, to my great delight, is studying the major conflict (WW2) which shaped the face of our planet.
For my children, my generation, and all those who 'failed to return' - I thank you for our freedom.

Oh I can believe that he still flies. Very active. When I met him last year it was at the end of a long afternoon signing atuographs and he was still going.

Happy Birthday Colonel!

Attachments

• sig003.jpg
    sig003.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 130
That's an interesting picture. It made me recall an interview of him. He said that one day after a mission, as he was getting out of "Old Crow," he casually mentioned to his crew chief that perhaps they might want to think about going to bare metal, as it might offer a slight speed advantage. He said he was astounded to go out to his plane the next morning for that day's mission, and discover that his ground crew had spent the entire night stripping the olive drab off with gasoline. From the look on his face while he was talking about it, it was obvious (To me, at least.) that his ground crew was very special to him.

Oh, and of course, happy birthday Col Anderson! Wishing you good health and many more to come.

Last edited:
Happy birthday! That's a cool story about the natural metal job! I love seeing his interviews, he seems to be a straight forward guy! Also, I love Old Crow bourbon, bottoms up Colonel!

I met Col. Anderson at an airshow several years ago. He attended it with Chuck Yeager, and a couple of other pilots he flew with in the war. He autographed my copy of his book for me, and I enjoyed it immensely.

truely one of the nicest guys you would ever want to meet. only had the pleasure once. Happy belated Birthday, Bud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back