Butchering the Butcher !

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
With not much else to do over Christmas Eve, I decided to make a start on the (to me) teeny weeny FW190, in 1/72nd scale, for the Group Build thingy.
As I have an idea for something just a little bit different, I wanted a FW190A8, but didn't really want to rape a good, and relatively expensive, 1/48th scale kit in order to satisfy my slightly odd-ball desires. So, I got a 1/72nd scale Hobby Boss kit, the only one available at my model shop in this scale. Had to laugh when I saw the small number of parts, especially the one-piece fuselage and similar wing! I also gulped at the small size - I haven't touched this scale for over 25 years, and wondered whether my knackered hands would be able to cope! I have to say though, the detail is incredible, compared with the last 1/72nd scale kit I touched so many years ago.
However, having got the kit parts spread out, it soon became apparent that my plans would be a little more difficult to implement than I originally thought. Due to the 'solid' wing, and somewhat thick, one-piece fuselage, not to mention the abundance of connection points, locating pegs and formers, the required micro-surgery would be rather more demanding than anticipated. So, after a bit of thought, I dragged out the required tools whilst thinking that what was about to follow would at least provide an interesting and smile-provoking story for all of you to read after your Christmas dinner!
This 'Butcher Bird' didn't need micro-surgery, it needed butchering!
I needed to remove the upper engine cowling panel, one wing-root cannon cover, and one under-wing cannon ammo hatch cover, the reasons for which you will find out when the model is completed. (Sorry, you'll just have to wait!)
On a 'normal' kit, with separate wing and fuselage halves, this would be a simple, straightforward job. But, on this little bird, it needed more drastic measures. The removal of said pieces was achieved with the use of a mini circular saw, a chisel-bladed craft knife, a scalpel, various drill bits and small modelling pliers!
After sawing, gouging, drilling, reaming, scraping, cutting and bending, the parts were eventually removed, and the plastic around the openings thinned where possible. Any rough edges or 'overshoots' in the cutting will be made good later. By the time I'd finished, I'd snapped one knife blade, and managed to burn-out the circular saw blade and one small drill bit, as the palstic was over a quarter of an inch thick (8+mm) in places!
Once this was done, construction got underway, with the addition of part of an engine, from a C47 (!) sourced from the 'spares box', and hey presto! In no time this small model was almost ready for the first stages of painting!
The attached pics show the various stages described, with the final shots showing the model assembled, with the cockpit painted and fitted, and the opened areas painted, ready for detailing etc. I've yet to make the hatch covers from plastic card, plus a few other little bits.
The model is going to be based on a particular aircraft shown in a well-known photograph from 1944 and, as mentioned, just a little bit different from the normally expected FW190. I'm not going to reveal what is different yet, you'll just have to wait and see. But, if anyone can guess, and give me the correct answer before the model is revealed, you'll win a prize - the scrap plastic removed from the darned thing!
I hope this has kept you entertained for a little while, enjoy the rest of your Christmas hols and all the best for '09.
Terry.

Attachments

• Group build 002.jpg
    Group build 002.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 89
  • Group build 007.jpg
    Group build 007.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 73
  • Group build 008.jpg
    Group build 008.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 89
  • Group build 010.jpg
    Group build 010.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 71
  • Group build 016.jpg
    Group build 016.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 92
  • Group build 029.jpg
    Group build 029.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 81
  • Group build 026.jpg
    Group build 026.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 94
  • Group build 022.jpg
    Group build 022.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 84
  • Group build 020.jpg
    Group build 020.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 77
Shanks eser vo such ! Jush got back from a boozy Chrishmash dunner, so can't carry on wid d model, or it'll fly all by itsh elf!
I'll try to get a bit more done when I've recovered chaps, and post some more (sober) pictures. Can't let too much be seen yet though......
PS. It is not a good idea to go for Christmas lunch to a pub, run by a friend, after they've closed for Chrissy day...especially if you haven't been out for a beer for two months or so, and are unused to meals that would feed a starving population!
Back when I recover!
Terry.

Not being into the scale plastic model thing, I don't have a clue what you are
trying to achieve. Be that as it may.... if all these blokes think you're doing
a helova job, I'll go along with the crowd. The finale should be interesting,
to say the least.

Charles

Thanks very much again chaps, much appreciated! Yes, it IS b****y solid!
Just figuring out which way to paint it - not sure if the airbrush will cope with the very small, minimal mottle on this particular bird. I'll probably use a cotton bud, or a small brush, then do a diffusing wash. I hope to have it finished, and on its base, by New Year, as it's only small. (B****y tiny to me!)
As its a very well-known photo I'm basing this on, and the removed panels give a clue, I'm quite surprised no one has guessed which bird it is yet!
A (scanned) copy of the picture of the real thing for the first person to come up with the correct answer! Answers on the back of a £20 note to.....
PS. Thor', it aint a Dremmel unfortunately. It's an old 'Mini Drill', about 10 to 15 years before Dremmel, about half the size, but only single-speed, which can make things interesting at times!

You got it Jan! That's one of the reasons I recently purchased a Pin vice drill, makes some drilling easier, but no good for the circular saw. Which reminds me, I must make a new handle to replace the one that snapped off my old razor saw! I'll need that to saw the canopy in two on the 190A.

Done a bit more on the little '190. Got the removed panel openings cleaned up, and some gun breeches carved. I couldn't scratch-build these, as there was no way I could make the open bays properly flat and 'square' on this Hobby Boss kit, so I carved the rough shape from the solid plastic!
The cowling side panel is made and in position, with the other hatch covers made, ready to fit at the last minute.
The model is painted, and has been given a couple of coats of Klear (Future) ready for the decals. The painting was done with a brush, as the airbrush would struggle, I think, to do the very small, light mottle. Detail painting is next, then the semi-matt coat, followed by a little more external butchery, before fitting the final detail parts and positioning on its base.
It's been different, and an experience for me, building a 'small scale' model after so many years of the larger scales. But, it had to be done, so that I can fully appreciate the work of others, particularly the entries in Unternehmen Flugbrucke.
I hope to have this finished and posted in time for the begining of the Group Build, in the hope that it may provide encouragement and inspiration. It should also spur on entrants to making a better model, which shouldn't be difficult in this case!!
Terry.

Attachments

• Group build 039.jpg
    Group build 039.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 59
  • Group build 041.jpg
    Group build 041.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 61
  • Group build 043.jpg
    Group build 043.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 50
  • Group build 051.jpg