Butchering the Butcher !

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Do you mean this pic Terry? If yes I'm not sure if the number colour is correct.All pics of the A-8 Werk Nummer 175140 of 7./JG26 , I have seen, are with captions the number was brown.The pic was taken on Melsbroek airfield near Brussels in September 1944.But for me the number looks like black painted though.

Attachments

• Fw190A8  7JG26 Wnr175140_1.jpg
    Fw190A8 7JG26 Wnr175140_1.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 47
That's the one Wojtek!
Yes, 7/JG26 had brown numbers, but the tones in the pic suggest black, possibly red. The only decals I had that were the correct size were black, so...! The pic I used was in Caldwells JG26 book, where there are other pics of 7/JG26 aircraft with definite brown numbers.
I've seen this pic in more than one book, where it is normally described as a 7 Staffel machine. But one book put it as a FW190 A7, which can't really be right, as the ORBAT for JG26 for the period lists 190A8's.

Yep...the pic can be found in a couple of differend books but all captions say "brown six".I can say that the number seems to be dark though it was the sunny day when the pic was taken.The brown colour should be different in tonality comparing to the cross.But it seems to be of the same.I cannot agree it was the red one.Red colour in sunlight looks like to be lighter comparing to the black one. So I think we can exclude the red colour.

Just to confuse things further, the Hungarian version of Caldwell's book states it as being FW 190A-8 (W.nr 175140) "kék 6-os" - BLUE 6, of 8/JG 26... :|

By the way, does anyone have details of the insides of the outboard wing cannon covers..?
I'm interested in doing the aircraft on the same page of that book for the group build - Fw 190A-8 (W.nr.171568 ) White '7 + - ' of 5/JG 26, also abandoned at Melsbröck with Blue/black/red/or brown 6...

Any additional photos anywhere of her?

Evan, definitely Brown 6, the best hint of this is that many other pics of aircraft show Black and blue numbers are bordered in white, while yellow or Brown and white are edged in black.

Cheers guys! I've always wanted to do Braunen 6 as seen in the pics, terry beat me to it for the build! :) Another time...

Btw, can anyone tell me where the hell the 'New thread' control is????? Haven't been able to find it since the forum went down mid last year.

Cheers again!

The New Thread button is there where it should have been,Evan. I mean , at the bottom of all of these sub-thread pages.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back