Buying used WW2-warplane to the South-Korean (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Grampa

Senior Airman
Feb 4, 2005
Hi I whonder if you where a rich South-Korean in the end of WW2. And you somehow know of the upcomming Korean-War. What WW2 secondhand-plane whould you buy to the Sout-Korean Airforce?
My Choise whould be the P-47 D and up to the N version because it's rugginess and exelent performance in groundattack that are better than the P-51 D Mustang.

F7F Tigercat, and F8F bearcat, ME-262, A-26 intruder, B-29, C-46, P-82.

The Bearcat would clean the sky of P-47's and P-51's

Some early planes of the ROKAF *were* bought with mainly private money. A national subscription campaign was taken up, little donations from lots of people, there being hardly any really rich people there at the time, unlike today. What they managed to buy was 10 AT-6 Texan/Harvard (probably Harvard IIb's, but I've never found a source exactly stating it, anybody know?) from Canada, which arrived in 1950 just before the Korean War. The US was unwilling at the time to give or sell even this type of plane to ROK because it was believed to be provocative; only artillery liaison types were provided by the US pre-war, and the South Koreans also had some ex-Japanese basic trainers still operational (like Type 95 Army trainers, Ki-9). The AT-6's were known as the 'national foundation aircraft' (Geon Guk Gi in Korean) and each was a given a name.

Unfortunately 7 appear to have been strafed on the ground first day of the Korean War, June 25, 1950, by NK Yak-9's, though others became makeshift bombers in those first couple of days. They were the only real air opposition to the North Koreans before the USAF intervened June 27. This would btw be the big problem for an imaginary lone rich guy's Me-262 or P-47N, how to deal with several dozen operational North Korean Yak-9U's and P's. :|

act2-t-6-10kyungbook.jpg

Geon Guk Gi no.10, named after North Gyeong Sang Province.

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back