C-47 Crash query

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

AylesbeareC-47

Recruit
Sep 9, 2017
Hi all,

New member here!
I was wondering if someone could help me with some more advanced search.
I'm a local historian (in East Devon, UK), and have recently published a local book on a WW2 military camp. I have recently found out about a C-47 aircraft crash, just half a mile from the camp area (directly next to an area that was a USAF storage depot). I am in the process of doing an 'updated' version of my book, and will be including all information on this incident.

I have done a fair bit of research into this, and have found that the aircraft was returning to RAF Exeter, from a freight mission to Brussels. On the night of the 8th September 1944, at around 23:30, a C-47A 'Dakota' aircraft (serial number 42-93278) crashed near to Newton Poppleford, on Aylesbeare common, Devon. All four occupants died.

1st Lieutenant Bernard J. Touhy (Pilot of the aircraft that night), 2nd Lieutenant Charles A. Betz Jr, Staff Sergeant Charles H. Taylor, Staff Sergeant Kerman L. Lamberth.

The four troops were part of the Ninth Air Force's 440th Troop Carrier Group, 97th Troop Carrier Squadron. The 440th Troop Carrier Group was based at RAF Exeter from the 26th April - 11th September 1944.

My question is, I only know the names and rank of those killed, and that is all. Can someone help me gain some more information on these chaps?

Secondly, (And this might be a huge shot in the dark!), would anyone have a photograph of this very aircraft?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

Simon

Do you have a copy of the official accident report? If not one is available from AAIR at this link
http://www.aviationarchaeology.com/src/dbasn.asp?SN=42-93278&Submit4=Go
The report is listed as follows:
440908 C-47A 42-93278 97TCS 440TCG 463 9 KCR 5 Tuohy, Bernard J ENG Exeter/Sta 463

For photos of the aircraft I would suggest researching the 97TCS squadron and 440TCG group, you may get lucky
a quick check for the 97th TCS found nothing, but a check of the 440 TCG found lots.
The SNAFU SPECIAL - C-47 #43-15073, The Official Site - Photographic albums

Found photo of a C-47 belonging to the 96th Troop Carrier Squadron and 440th TCG. Note the "6Z" marking on the fuselage. You will need to determine which code the 97th used.
A C-47 belonging to the 96th Troop Carrier Squadron. Note the 6Z marking on the fuselage..jpg

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for the info.
No, I haven't got a copy of the official accident report.
Great link for the photo's. Some of which I haven't seen on other sites during my research. I looked up the squadron code on the fuselage for the 97th, it's 'W6'.
Typically in the photo album, I see aircraft with codes for the 95th, 96th and 98th, but none for the 97th visible!

Many thanks,

Simon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back