C-47 found in Siberia

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ohm-men

Senior Airman
Jan 11, 2014
Antwerp
0_49386_291fad95_XXL.jpg
0_49383_88bda501_XXL.jpg
161012145440-douglas-c47-windows-exlarge-169.jpg
inside%20plane%204.jpg
inside_inside_the_plane.jpg

inside_close_up.jpg
1_3.jpg
1_21.jpg
C-47%20VVS%20with%20turret_zps9dxlvgnt.jpg
1_19.jpg
I know it's old news, but looking at the pics of the C-47 that crash landed in the vast uninhabitated regions of Siberia in 1947 and sat there undisturbed for nearly 70 years I found this C-47 was once an armed transport. (you can clearly see the added strengt bars on top of the fuselage and the patched up erea where the turret sat and on the pic of the inside, you can see the evidence of the turret) Even though the serial No. Suggest this particular C-47 was used by in the artic for weather reccon during WW2, It must have been used in the front line as well after it was overhauled by the russian, since there is evidence it had a turret installed, which was later removed.

Further on, the plane in it's current state is very intersting as well. The exposure the the elements for the past 70 years, made it an Aero-archeoligic artefact. The layers of paint have been slowly washed away, exposing all it's previous liveries.
There you can see the history of different camo scemes this aircraft wore during it's service. There is the Obvious "Olive Drabb" from it's U.S. Livery, then there a traces of a much darker paint, most likely Russian AMT colours and at least two shades of AMT green (I supose an early one and a late one) and perhaps even AMT grey (tail surfaces) This machine wore "Red Stars" in at least two positions during it's career and had two different No.s aplied.

I found one pic (from an e-bay auction, via a tread on anothere modelling forum) that shows a C-47 with a turret installed. There a few side viuew drawings a well that show lend and lease C-47's with this turret.
Normally these turrets are found on the russian build C-47 (named Li-2) but this wreck and the war time B/W pic support the theory that turrets were installed on lend and lease C-47's, which is new to me.

So, I'm quiet exited with this. It promted me to buy a used Revell/Monogram 1/48th C-47. My goal is to build a Russian Lend and Lease C-47 with a turret. Though the Russians used the Li-2 as a night bomber during the Stalingrad siege which could carry up to 1000Kg of bombs extarnally, I'm curious to find if they might have used C-47's for this as well.

I would however try to find out more about the found wreck and how it might of looked during the war while it still carried it's turret.

Last edited:
It was kind of accidental that I discovered this as I was originally looking for some Li-2 NB pics and came across pictures of this wreck. Suddenly I realized it must of had a turret somewhere in it's career as the exterior of the aircraft shows this. It wasn't until after I saw the pic of the inside of the fuselage that it became clear to me. I never knew the Russians also added the turret to their C-47's. Although they had a far longer range, were faster and needed less maintenance then their Li-2 counterparts... So it makes sence.

It seams it wore No. "328" on the fuselage aft of the red star. So it might of looked like the last profile prior to 1944. I'v read that after 1944, the Russians had enough bomber aircraft and air superiority that both their Li-2's and most likely their C-47 had Their turrets removed. There is at least on C-47 operated by the Normandy-Niemen Guards regiment that had the same configuration as "328" with a removed turret. Though I haven't been able to track down that particular picture.

I hope to build "328" from the old Revell/Monogram kit in his earlier livery (if I can find a 1/48 turret that is)
Though trying to recreate the aircraft as it was found after being exposed to the elements for 70 years, might also make a great model...
Though I think this is beond my capacities as a modeller....

You may check on the link.. there is more shots and her details there. Rosyjski C-47 "Dakota" znaleziony na Syberii

The info in Polish says that she was C-47-DL, serial 42-32892, factory no.9118. Delivered to the US AF on 24th February 1943. Then passed over to the VVS on the 12th March 1943. The soviet number USSR-H-328. She serviced with the 7th Arctic Aviation Regiment. On the 16th April 1943 she was on meteorogical recce mission. From 22nd October to November the 1st , the meteo recce missions over the Kara Sea. From 3rd June to July the 24th 1944 meteo patrols over the Kara Sea from the Anderme base. In 1945 she was sent to the Chukotka Polar Air Arm with number A-3072 as a transport plane. It seems that the blue-grey colour on tops was because of her servicing in the naval squadrons. On the April 13th 1947 the plane was crashed near the river Dutypy on the north of the Voloshonka village because of failure of the left engine. The pilot managed to make an emergency landing. The 28 of people were saved after about 20 days of waiting for the rescue.. The pilot, the radioman and seven passengers who went into the tundra for help, were lost. They never got back or were saved.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back