C-75 - Boeing 307 Stratoliner

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

hawkeye2an

Staff Sergeant
Mar 18, 2009
St Joseph, Missouri
I saw a thumbnail of the C-75 in early war marking from Life magazine but haven't been able to find it on their websight, or anything of decent quality.
Does anyone have a higher res version out there?

This is the only one of a C-75 that I have Andy. Its from The "C" Planes by Bill Holder Scott Vadnais. I have plenty of shots of the Boeing 307 if you need them.

Attachments

• ScannedImage-39.jpg
    ScannedImage-39.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 405
Andy

thought these photos might be of interest

Mike

Attachments

• C-75.jpg
    C-75.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 893
  • 307-6a.jpg
    307-6a.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 540
  • 307-7a.jpg
    307-7a.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 507
  • Boeing-C-75.jpg
    Boeing-C-75.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 668
Last edited:
All the pics are great but that third is VERY interesting. I knew some of the 307s were modified with B-17G wings and tails, but I thought it was a postwar mod. The easiest way to tell if it's been modified to 307 B-1 standard is that the elevator and rudder pivot point are in alignment. as you can see from this photo the tail surfaces have been moved back to this point. The surviving 307 in the Smithsonian does not have this mod.

Andy,

I thought I would post these to as they show the C-75 being modified at the Boeing plant.
Apparently they had to start outdoors due to lack of factory space.

Cheers

Mike

Attachments

• C-75-2.jpg
    C-75-2.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 307
Thanks again. Is that a page from Airpower/Wings magazine? If so what issue? Pic 1 seems to show painted over windows, I had read that they did that on the port side as there were fuel tanks where that row of seats would have been. Also looks that they put them back to NMF, I knew they did that at some point during the war.

Any more you can share?

It's like discovering a "missing link" in the evolution of US COMMERCIAL aircraft production. Peace time was/is always the challenge for aircraft manufacturing companies. I didn't know Boeing built this beaut. The evolution was towards pressurized cabins. The Curtis C-46 shares the same rounded, non-Douglas nose :). But the military didn't need pressurized cabins, they needed cheap-to-build - rugged. And that's the way the C-46 got built. C-47 too.

Boeing got the bomber-commercial airliner synergy thing started with this C-75 plane. Beautiful in olive drab. :)

MM

The last page is from The Airpower/Wings magazine a two part article by Peter Bowers.
I'll post the issues tonight(my time)

The other lot was off the net but I can't remember where:oops:

Mike

The issues are

Airpower September 1998 Vol 28 No.5

Wings October 1998 Vol 28 No.5
Added this page as it has the captions to the other page and the photo of the finished C-75

Cheers

Attachments

• C-75-3.jpg
    C-75-3.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
Boeing 307 'Stratoliner' TWA 1940
Boeing 307 ‘Stratoliner’ TWA 1940.jpg

I realise this is probably somewhat embellished, but it looks a helluva lot more comfortable than the hellacious glorified sardine cans they cram you into these days.
Boeing 307 ‘Stratoliner’ Interior TWA 1940.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back