c0ck pit glass

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

J dog

Airman 1st Class
Dec 15, 2012
Eastern PA
hey guys I know that the glass for c0ckpits of planes were designed to be bullet resistant but how well did they perform and did they really make a difference?

Last edited by a moderator:
There are photos around of fighters taking direct hits on the windshield and while in some cases the damage emitted splinters onto the pit's face, for the most part they stopped the round.

An armoured glass windscreen comprised a substantial, and heavy, laminated armour.

me109_armouredglass_web_zpscf37c522.gif

The rest of the "glass" on most aircraft, as on the Bf 109, was about as bullet proof as tissue paper.

109cockpitdamage_web_zpse1f7f8ea.gif

Cheers

Steve

thanks the glass apperantly works better than I thought, except on the BF109 haha I wouldn't want to be that guy.

If we consider that the engine was a shield for the pilots body, plus armored glass, plus rear head shield, plus some not-so-thick side steel plates, the main concern musted have been a shoot comin from, say, 3 or 9 high, or a flak burst. Someone agree?.

hey guys I know that the glass for c0ckpits of planes were designed to be bullet resistant but how well did they perform and did they really make a difference?
I even been looking for this just today . So far one or two hits would damage it . It was mor for protection against shrapnel . A direct 50 cal might even dislodge it but it would make a mess of it . A 20mm direct hit would not be something you would remember except in the afterlife LOL an angular hit might just remove it from your plane leaving just plexiglass to protect you llexan had not been invented yet there was shatter proof auto glass with a primitive plastic between hardened glass aircraft just had more layers.

You can see the plexiglass cracked Ike windows glass . Today we have molds for Lexan or polycarbonate plastic . Planes with ejection seats have it scored and have iercing devices to make sure the canopy is gone as the seat goes out
The canopy on the P-51D was blow-moulded plexiglass (aka Lucite, Perspex, etc.) that was rather thick.

Like any acrylic plastic, it will break somewhat like un-tempered glass.
Today's polycarbonates (including Lexan) are far more advanced than plastics of the 30's and 40's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back