CAF agrees to stay in Midland Texas

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thorlifter

Captain
Jun 10, 2004
Knoxville, TN
City, CAF strike a deal for hotel/motel funds - Mywesttexas.com: Top Stories

The City Council will fund this year's AirSho after the Commemorative Air Force officially agreed Friday not to diminish its Midland presence.

The CAF, which announced in May its intention to relocate the organization's headquarters to a larger metropolitan area, will use the $50,000 in hotel and motel tax revenue to advertise the Oct. 12-13 event starting next week, said CAF Airpower Museum Director Autumn Vest.

"We were pleased when Mayor Perry and Councilman Dufford came to the table with requests that ensured our continued museum and AirSho performance," said Stephan Brown, CAF president and CEO, in a prepared statement.

A Tuesday vote by City Council gave Mayor Wes Perry the power to negotiate the agreement, which requires the CAF to hold its annual AirSho, maintain the CAF museum, allow the local High Sky Wing to operate the complex, accept payment of $710,650 in state funds by reimbursement instead of one lump sum and exhibit the B-29 Superfortress "FiFi" in Midland three times a year.

Both Perry and Scott Dufford, councilman at large, called the agreement a "win-win" for all parties involved.

Negotiations started early this week with a Tuesday briefing session, City Council meeting and private talks between the parties involved. Parties hammered out a nearly final agreement that evening, and the CAF secured funding Friday after agreeing to the terms.

Although not part of the official agreement, Brown offered to return part of CAF's property at Midland International Airport, which it leases from the city for $1 a year, for "benefit of the city and aviation airplane owners here looking for hangar space."

The CAF in August narrowed its list of potential locations to six airports in three Texas metropolitan areas. An upcoming vote by member-volunteers authorizes the board, which voted in April, to make a final selection, according to the CAF.

Member-volunteers must request an absentee ballot by Oct. 6 or vote in person during the general membership meeting at AirSho.

The CAF.................... a story.

In 1989, I shared a hangar in which space was donated for a CAF T-6. A beautiful airworthy plane. But it was a forty minute drive for a pilot to fly it.... boo f'n hoo. So the pilot moved it to an airport within 10 minutes of him, OUTSIDE storage!. Within six months is was unflyable........ idiots! How about taxiing a B-17 into a dempsty dumpster, WTF?????

The CAF.................... a story.

In 1989, I shared a hangar in which space was donated for a CAF T-6. A beautiful airworthy plane. But it was a forty minute drive for a pilot to fly it.... boo f'n hoo. So the pilot moved it to an airport within 10 minutes of him, OUTSIDE storage!. Within six months is was unflyable........ idiots! How about taxiing a B-17 into a dempsty dumpster, WTF?????

Learn some thing new at every visit out here. I had no idea planes would deteriorate so fast without a hanger.

It was the fabric on the tail feathers, and nobody bothered covering the canopy. You can't let control surfaces flop around for months on end. A lot of upety pilots don't know how to Maintain fragile parts of planes. Just ask some of the old timer line people!

My CAF story. First show I ever went to was when it was the Confederate Air Force and based in Harlingen Texas (far south Texas) in 1975. I was only 9 but my dad still tells me how wide eyed I was looking at the planes and saying Hi to the pilots. I didn't have a clue who anyone was but it was years later when I was watching Baa Baa Black Sheep on TV that my dad told me I met Pappy and shook his hand in Harlingen at that air show.

Didn't even know.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back