Calling all buffs! Can you guys help with a story? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

sabrina

Airman 1st Class
OK, so most of you probably know I'm an aviation/fiction writer. I would love your input and some help on something I'm working on.

I have a female character in WWII, early 20's, and need a plausible reason to get her into Asia from America. She is a WASP and so is trained as a pilot, and I'm throwing around a few ideas, but I really don't like any of them yet.

The WASP were never permitted to get too far from the coastline, never flying in combat, and kept in this country, so I need some ways to get her to Asia.

Any and all ideas are completely welcome....whether it's her will or against it, under deceptive circumstances or routine, a crash or emergency, an invitation. Of course, I'm especially interested in reasons that have historical backings, and it does not have to be related to WASP activities or aviation.

If I don't get a chance to say it, thank you in advance to anyone with ideas suggestions. Hope everyone's doing well...I haven't had a chance to be one here too much lately.

She's on leave and was hired to ferry an aircraft for a private individual expecting to be back before it (her leave) was up.

Was flying in Alaska and got blown off course in a storm

I don't think it's that far from Nome to Russia, maybe 300 miles to Alyatki and the Keystone bombers of the period had a range of at least 600 miles. The De Havilland DH-4's where one of the first aircraft to land in Nome in the 1920's had a range of 400 miles.

1941 Philippine WASP epediently evacuated prior to Corregidor to avoid the Japanese enslaught of the USAAF flying assets post Pearl Harbor. With transport experience delivering C-46s, she becomes involved in the China-Burma theater deliverying supplies over "The Hump". Or alternatively, and historically correct, she has C-47 time and suffers hypoxia due to the extremes the C-47 suffered at such high altitudes (vice C-46). Crash land, capture, Nepalese freedom fighters, etc.

All great ideas, but you really surprised me by hitting it on the mark, Matt. I have numerous research papers on the China-Burma India theater on my desk as I wanted to incorporate it. Great details--definitely checking this out and probably incorporating it.

Thanks all you guys--and feel free to keep em' coming. Everything you said is helping me with ideas.

Say she had to ferry a B-24 to Hawaii because the pilot that was suppose to fell ill or died all of a sudden. And I don't know where you would take it from there. Kind of one of those one thing leads to another sorta things that snowballs.:dontknow:

They did a documentary once about this.....ummm....thats right, "Raiders of the Lost Ark!" :)

I was thinking:

1. Ferry pilot possibly for private corporation with contract with China
2. Nurse/RN
3. Rich family who once stayed in Burma/Asia as little girl - has some connection to return; saving orphans, charity

Think she poses as a guy, small boobs, was a tomboy growing up, her brother in the AVG was killed and she's po'd at the US govt that she can't fight the japs, she makes her way to China and ends up shooting down 3 zero's before she gets busted, what does the Captain do?, she was a natural leader and kept moral high, was great for the team and hell I just found out I'm not a writer.:D

Have her as an assistant to Eleanor Roosevelt. I think she visited the Pacific a few times. Maybe even a copilot for her plane or some such thing. Plenty of space to work with that one.

She was involved with a man she met at a US Army airbase, and it turned into a head over heels romance. He had to go back to China because he was in the 23rd Fighter Group flying out of Kweilin Airfield, China. She gets word that he has been shot down and was last seen heading into the undergrowth with the Japanese on his heels. She knows that he is a fighter and ill not die easily. She pulls a slick move and sneaks into a transport to China where she is quickly caught, but Claire Chenault saves her from getting in trouble and she embarks on a search and recue mission to find her love.

Why not make an all female AVG fighter group? Some lassies getting tired to just ferry machines back and forth and decides to something about it, get a piece of the action....much like those Russian female fighter pilots. 8)

Would have a been a shock to the Japs! :shock: :lol:

Speaks fluent French and sent to Indochina pre-war to spy on the Japanese Build Up. Steals a French transport and escapes to Burma, to join the AVG unofficially (listed as a male pilot, retreats to China after the collapse in Burma, to fly with the AVG, still officially as a male pilot....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back