Camoulage paint on P40N

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Amsel

Tech Sergeant
Jul 15, 2008
Texas
I have been combing the web for pictures of P40Ns' in service in China/India or the Pacific that wore camo paint. All the pictures I have seen so far seem to sport an olive drab upper and sky grey belly. Does anyone know if a camo pattern was used by a certain F.G.? Especially in China. Perhaps the 51st F.G.?

Hi Amsel. Very recently, I saw an article, I think in a modelling magazine, that featured P40's sent to that theatre which had a disruptive camouflage scheme, apparently in 'British' colours, on aircraft diverted there from an order originally destined for Britain. I can't promise anything, as I might no longer have the mag, but if I find anything definite, I'll post it for you.
Terry.

Thank you sir. I was looking for proof of a camo scheme particularly on the "N" model. I was curious of the variations used on the latest model. Many thanks.

Hi again Amsel. I haven't yet found the modelling article, but I have found a recent aviation magazine article coveing the P40 at the Cavanaugh Museum. This has been restored in the colours of a particular pilot, and is in disruptive pattern cammo!
As there may be a problem with copyright, being a very recent publication, if you can PM me with an e-mail address, I'll scan the colour pics, and the text if possible, and e-mail it to you.
Terry.

Thank you gentlemen. I believe your advice has been what I need to continue with my project. Thank you very much. For being so prolific it seems that the P-40N doesn't get as much coverage as does some others.

I especially am interested in the OD scheme with the green scalloped edges.

2- colour upper surface schemes on P-40N are rare; but often seen on Es, Ks and Ms.
This is a typical OD/NG one with Medium Green 42 patches around edges, very common especially in the 80th and 51st FGs in the CBI. The serial was overpainted with dark green as was the spinner back plate; tail numbers in the 16th FS/ 51st FG were 350--399 .Note absence of an eye above.
Nick

Attachments

• p40n-china.jpg
    p40n-china.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 1,892
Great info and profiles. Thanks!

Hi Amsel,
I've been researching P40/Kittyhawks for the past 40 years on and off . The information I have so far come across is that at some point in the P40K-10/15 production run Cuirtiss started painting A/C in OD/ MG blotching / NG regardless of where the A/C ended in service . It was left to the end user to repaint the Airframes if necessary.
I have yet to see a photo or any evidence of P40N in USAAF service painted in disruptive camo .
The 51st certainly used P40K-5 in disruptive camo , but not any Ns
One interesting variation was the 45th FG , which used P40N in engineer sand with pale blue under surfaces
A useful reference is the Osprey book Aircraft of the Aces Number 35---- P40 Warhawk Aces of the CBI by Carl Molesworth
HTH
Cheers

Terry McGrady

I think the restoration is fairly new, Paul, but Chino gets airplanes from all over the pace for their show. I hadn't seen that one before the show, but it could be an out of state bird. So I am not sure. I will see if I can find the N-number.

Thanks, Terry. Useful information especially from someone who has such an interest in the P-40. I will check out those Osprey books. and btw welcome.

Hi Amsel
I've been researching P40/Kittyhawks for the past 40 years on and off
Hi Terry
I posted 'A P-40 Pictorial History' in Aviation Pictures
do you know any more about the inertia and intransigence of Curtiss-Wright that led to the Truman Committee investigation and the view that C-W was a Wall Street-vested cash cow?

Hi Colin ,
Well I've heard of it , but my main interest is the Kittyhawks used by the RAF and Commonwealth units -. The US use stems from this as I can't resist a good photo I have a modest collection of some 2000 many unpublished mainly through a contact in Australia , who when he stayed with me in UK and left me 5 gig of photos .
Also collect Squadron reports and ORBs - The one of 112 Squadron being extremely imformative . I try to tie as many individual A/C letters with serials as I can - basicaly to do a different model

Cheers
Terry

Hi Mate,
I recently completed 3 Eduard Kittyhawk MKIII for a friend in 3 totally Different Colour schemes -
FR806 GA*Q of 112 Sq in OD/NG FR817 GL*O of 5 SAAF in DG/DE /AB and finally Fr813 LD*: Flt Clarke's A/C 250 SQ in Desert Colours. The Idea of building 3 A/C which served in the same time frame , the same sub-type in 3 different colour schemes appealed to me .
If you need any help just get in touch .
Cheers
Terry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back